Does Pulling or Pushing Reduce Friction More When Moving a Crate?

• Thread starter santoki
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Force
In summary, the conversation discusses the force required to move a crate across a horizontal pad of concrete at a constant speed, with two options: pushing at a downward angle of 30 degrees or pulling at an upward angle of 30 degrees. The calculation for this force involves using the coefficient of friction and normal force, and a free body diagram can help determine the condition for motion at constant velocity.
santoki

Homework Statement

A person has a choice while trying to move a crate across a horizontal pad of concrete: push it at a downward angle of 30 degrees, or pull it at an upward angle of 30 degrees.

If the crate has a mass of 50.0 kg and the coefficient of friction between it and the concrete is 0.750, calculate the force required to move it across the concrete at a constant speed in both situations.

2. The attempt at a solution
I don't know how to start calculating it by I do have an idea of what the answer will be. In the end, pulling at an upward angle will have a lower force because pulling upward will decrease friction resulting in decrease of normal force.

As for the calculation part, I was thinking of using Fpcos(30°)p = [itex]\mu[/itex]N with N being (mg + Fpsin(30°)) for pushing and then Fpcos(30°) = [itex]\mu[/itex]N with N being (mg - Fpsin(30°)) for pulling but I feel like it's a bit disorganized since it doesn't follow what we usually have in class like a parent formula on top and you can manipulate it to get this and that, etc.

Physics news on Phys.org
santoki said:

Homework Statement

A person has a choice while trying to move a crate across a horizontal pad of concrete: push it at a downward angle of 30 degrees, or pull it at an upward angle of 30 degrees.

If the crate has a mass of 50.0 kg and the coefficient of friction between it and the concrete is 0.750, calculate the force required to move it across the concrete at a constant speed in both situations.

2. The attempt at a solution
I don't know how to start calculating it by I do have an idea of what the answer will be. In the end, pulling at an upward angle will have a lower force because pulling upward will decrease friction resulting in decrease of normal force.

As for the calculation part, I was thinking of using Fpcos(30°)p = [itex]\mu[/itex]N with N being (mg + Fpsin(30°)) for pushing and then Fpcos(30°) = [itex]\mu[/itex]N with N being (mg - Fpsin(30°)) for pulling but I feel like it's a bit disorganized since it doesn't follow what we usually have in class like a parent formula on top and you can manipulate it to get this and that, etc.

Start by doing a free body diagram for each of the two scenarios, drawing vectors for all forces acting on the body in each scenario. What is the condition for motion at constant velocity (hint: what must the vectors in each diagram sum to?)?

AM

1. What is another force?

Another force is any force other than the four fundamental forces of nature: gravity, electromagnetism, strong nuclear force, and weak nuclear force. This can include forces such as friction, tension, and applied forces.

2. How does another force affect motion?

Another force can cause an object to accelerate, decelerate, or change direction. It can also cause an object to come to a stop or maintain a constant velocity.

3. Can another force be measured?

Yes, another force can be measured using various instruments such as force meters, spring scales, and dynamometers. The unit of measurement for force is Newtons (N).

4. Is another force always present?

No, another force is not always present. It depends on the situation and the objects involved. For example, if there is no friction between two surfaces, then there will be no frictional force present.

5. How do you calculate the magnitude of another force?

The magnitude of another force can be calculated using the equation F = ma, where F is the force, m is the mass of the object, and a is the acceleration caused by the force. The direction of the force can be determined using vector addition and trigonometric functions.