Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pulsing high current into capacitive load?

1. Jul 13, 2008 #1
    I have to pulse 80 Amps @ 1 KHz into a capacitive load of a few uF. Unfortunately the RC constant is high enough that it prevents the next pulse to start from 0 amps. So in a sense the pulse generator delivers about 70 to 80 amps per cycle instead of 0 to 80 amps like it would in a non-capacitive load.

I fixed this temporarily by hooking up a 0.75 ohm high current resistor in parallel so it could discharge the load when the pulse is off. However I'm wasting a lot of power this way.

So I'm wondering if there is another solution?

Last edited: Jul 13, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 14, 2008 #2

NoTime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You might try being more specific about the purpose of your setup and what it is intended to accomplish.

4. Jul 15, 2008 #3
    put a higher resistor instead of a such small one.

your decay rate should be faster than 1msec, lets say it is about 0.2msec, so RC = 0.2msec => R = 200ohms?

5. Sep 30, 2008 #4
    Have you tried using a variable square wave generator and a mosfet?

6. Sep 30, 2008 #5
    Thanks for replying, but the problem has been solved two months ago. We basically generated a second low powered 180 degree out of phase pulse to discharge the cap.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?