Purchases just sitten around collecting dust

• Thread starter Pengwuino
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Dust
In summary, a person's most expensive thing that is just sitting around collecting dust is usually something they never or seldom use. The most depressing thing is when something expensive that is meant to be used or enjoyed is gone past its expiration date.
Pengwuino
Gold Member
So what do you feel is the most expensive thing you bought that is just sitting around collecting dust (or something you rarely use that's expensive or something you thought you just HAD to have and never/rarely used it)?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think he's asking "how many people have a treadmill?"

My coin collection is sitting around collecting dust. I still collect, but I have no use for it.

To be real about it, I have a Compound Bow sitting around. I got it for cheap because the Outdoor Store was closing down.

Other than that, probably 70% of my textbooks are sitting around collecting dusts, and they are items I just "had" to have.

I don't buy stuff I have no use for... although my ipod doesn't get a lot of use any more, but it was a gift.

My bookshelf is pretty immobile too, I only read one book at a time see... :rolleyes:

My bike. I spent about 2k on it and it is currently hanging in the garage. I do ride a bike almost everyday, just not it. Books too.

I used to work out every day, I also used to look like a playboy centerfold. :frown: Now my equipment is gathering dust. It was that last glass through the knee and fall downstairs that ended my workouts and I just haven't had any incentive to get back into that kind of shape again.

5 years ago i bought laboratory microscope ( Zeiss ) for like 3 K, and hardly ever used it. just sits there on my desk and collects dust.

No dust-beladen purchase, no matter how expensive, is more depressing than having condoms gone past their expiration date..:frown:

Last edited:
arildno said:
No dust-beladen purchase, no matter how expensive, is more depressing than having condoms gone past their expiration date..:frown:
yuk yuk yuk yuk yuk!

(double meaning in that)

arildno said:

Try goats ! :biggrin:

I bought a violin several years ago, planning to teach myself how to play. Nothing special, like for students, maybe $400-500 with all of the accessories, music, books, etc. But every time I tried to play it, I got images of the strings snapping and hitting me in the face, poking out an eye or something. So I never really played it.
A couple years later, I met someone at a party and found out that he wrote music. He was really cool, even played me a few songs on the piano. So I asked him if he played the violin. He didn't, but his little sister did. So I gave it all to him for song, literally. You guys should consider giving your stuff to someone who can use it. It feels really good. :smile:

Last edited:
music albums......
cowboys from hell of pantera... its so boring! :zzz: :zzz: :zzz:

You can turn that record into a snack bowl! Put foil on a glass or pottery bowl, put the record on it. Pop it into a oven heated to around 300 degree. In about 2 minutes it will have melted around the shape of the bowl! Take it out, but don't mess with it until it cools.

Totally regret buying that 400 foot yacht which I never have time to use.

juvenal said:
Totally regret buying that 400 foot yacht which I never have time to use.
Like HRW said, give it to somebody who needs it *caugh caugh* because it feels really good. *WINK WINK*

juvenal, did I mention how good you look today?

Evo said:
I used to work out every day, I also used to look like a playboy centerfold. :frown:
Really? Can we see some photos? :tongue2:

I, too, have a $500 bicycle that is collecting dust. I want to ride it, but I live in a tiny development that is sandwiched between two major highways. There is no place to ride around here, and my car is too small to get a bike inside. Hopefully,by next year I'll be able to afford a hatchback or small SUV big enough to take the bike for a ride in some of the less developed areas south of here.

Evo said:
last glass through the knee
What does this mean? Do you mean a surgical procedure, or an accident? More than one? Why?

Was "fall downstairs" related to all this? How?

stoned said:
5 years ago i bought laboratory microscope ( Zeiss ) for like 3 K, and hardly ever used it. just sits there on my desk and collects dust.
Oooh! Wanna sell it?

Didn't know what to get the husband for his birthday, so I bought a fondue maker *pretty sure* it'd never get used. Time will tell.

rocketboy said:
Like HRW said, give it to somebody who needs it *caugh caugh* because it feels really good. *WINK WINK*

juvenal, did I mention how good you look today?

I've Fedex'ed it over to you in Ottawa. Should arrive in a few days. Enjoy.

EnumaElish said:
What does this mean? Do you mean a surgical procedure, or an accident? More than one? Why?
I fell on a drinking glass and it shattered and cut through my knee, pretty bad, when I tried to walk the blood would spurt out and there was a "wooshing" sound. :yuck:

Was "fall downstairs" related to all this? How?
The fall downstairs was a separate incident.

jma2001, no one gets to see photos.

Pengwuino said:
So what do you feel is the most expensive thing you [have] that is just sitting around collecting dust

The cats...

Evo said:
I fell on a drinking glass and it shattered and cut through my knee, pretty bad, when I tried to walk the blood would spurt out and there was a "wooshing" sound.
This sounds bad, what with the sound effect and all. But no structural damage, right? (Or wrong?)
The fall downstairs was a separate incident.
What damage did that cause?

There has to be some kind of activity that you could engage in, no?

Pengwuino said:
So what do you feel is the most expensive thing you bought that is just sitting around collecting dust (or something you rarely use that's expensive or something you thought you just HAD to have and never/rarely used it)?
my premium membership :uhh:

Alesis ADAT LX20.

EnumaElish said:
This sounds bad, what with the sound effect and all. But no structural damage, right? (Or wrong?)What damage did that cause?

There has to be some kind of activity that you could engage in, no?
I had a brace on my leg and stitches in my knee, but I was fine in 6 weeks, but I got out of the habit of exercizing every day. No damage, I just need to get motivated again. :grumpy:

Evo has a new avatar! I'm confused now

yomamma said:
Evo has a new avatar! I'm confused now
That's me. Kind of weird looking, but some like it. My last one was the Evo child.

Evo said:
That's me.
Funny, you look like a centerfold I used to talk to. She is no longer a model and lives far away. :cry:

No damage, I just need to get motivated again. :grumpy:
You don't need to exercise every day. Even one day a month is better than never. Once a week is better. Twice a week is awesome. Three times is pushing it :smile:

I used to run and bicycle, then my knee hurt. I had to do these knee exercises to strengthen a muscle right above the knee; and couldn't do much else. Eventually, I got back on the saddle. Then my neck started hurting like hell. I sold the bike, didn't much exercise for a few years. It turned out good for my career. :smile: I got burned out this summer. I took it easy for a few weeks and took up swimming and working on my spinal muscles. Now the winter's almost here and the pools are closing, I have to find some other physical activity. I'm thinking of walking to & back from work, 2-3 days every week.

Could I possibly get you interested in brisk walking, perhaps?

EnumaElish said:
Could I possibly get you interested in brisk walking, perhaps?
I live near a wildlife preserve with 7 miles of hiking trials. I plan to hike again this fall. I love that.

pattylou said:
Oooh! Wanna sell it?

are you interested ?

Evo said:
I used to work out every day, I also used to look like a playboy centerfold. :frown: Now my equipment is gathering dust. It was that last glass through the knee and fall downstairs that ended my workouts and I just haven't had any incentive to get back into that kind of shape again.

:cry: Thinks, how to get that dust off and get you fit again :rolleyes:

Evo said:
I live near a wildlife preserve with 7 miles of hiking trials. I plan to hike again this fall. I love that.
Good! Don't forget the water, cell phone, and a walking stick (in case wildlife gets too close for comfort) :smile:

Any possibility of wildlife pics that we can look forward to? :bugeye: