Puzzled with the loxodrome ( spherical spiral ) equation

In summary, the conversation discusses the parametric equations for a loxodrome, which is defined as a curve on a sphere that intersects each meridian at a constant angle. The equations are derived using tangent vectors and the dot-product for the angle. The conversation also mentions that the loxodrome equations are a special case of oblate spheroid coordinates, and further discussion is needed to determine the reason for the specific values used in the equations.
kkz23691
Hi All!

the mathworld website http://mathworld.wolfram.com/SphericalSpiral.html claims that the loxodrome is given by the parametric equations
##x=cos(t) cos(c)##
##y=sin(t) cos(c)##
##z=-sin(c)##

Why so?
Now, as far as I can see, since the spherical coordinates are
##x=sin\phi cos\theta##
##y=sin\phi sin\theta##
##z=cos\phi##

Then the loxodrome equations look like the derivative of the radius vector ##{\mathbf r}## with respect to the zenith angle ##\phi## in spherical coordinates, namely

##\frac{dx}{d\phi} = cos \phi cos \theta##
##\frac{dy}{d\phi} = cos \phi sin \theta##
##\frac{dz}{d\phi} = -sin \phi##

where ##\theta, \phi## are the usual spherical angles, but in the loxodrome equations they are just replaced with ##t## and ##c## respectively.

Would anyone know why is the loxodrome defined in exactly the way shown above?
Thanks!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Thanks for the post! Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?

Likes kkz23691
Maybe this will help.

A loxodrome is defined to intersect each meridian on the sphere at a constant angle. In polar coordinates,it projects to a logarithmic spiral.

Last edited:
I have been collecting articles and textbook chapters that may shed some light on the derivation. For instance, this link https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20110605025959AAzWdiY
works the problem backwards - assuming a loxodrome, they try to arrive at the constant angle condition.
Still working on this ...

I am trying to approach it by using tangent vectors and the necessary derivatives and then the dot-product for the angle.

kkz23691 said:
I have been collecting articles and textbook chapters that may shed some light on the derivation. For instance, this link https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20110605025959AAzWdiY
works the problem backwards - assuming a loxodrome, they try to arrive at the constant angle condition.
Still working on this ...

I am trying to approach it by using tangent vectors and the necessary derivatives and then the dot-product for the angle.
Just calculate the derivatives.what is the problem?

The vector tangent to the meridian ##\theta = ##const is
##\frac{d{\mathbf r}}{d\phi} = (cos\phi cos\theta, cos\phi sin\theta, -sin\phi)##

If the curve is ##{\mathbf r}(t) = r(sin\phi(t) cos\theta(t), sin\phi(t) sin\theta(t), cos\phi(t))## then its tangent vector is

##{\mathbf r}^{\prime}(t)=r(\phi^{\prime}cos\phi cos\theta-\theta^{\prime} sin\phi sin \theta, \phi^{\prime} cos \phi sin \theta + \theta^{\prime} sin \phi soc \theta, -\phi^{\prime} sin \phi)##

Then the angle between ##\frac{d{\mathbf r}}{d\phi}## and ##{\mathbf r}^{\prime}(t)## is ##\alpha##,

##cos\alpha = \frac{\frac{d{\mathbf r}}{d\phi} \cdot {\mathbf r}^{\prime}(t)}{|\frac{d{\mathbf r}}{d\phi}| |{\mathbf r}^{\prime}(t)|}##

Using the above derivatives, plug in into the expression for ##cos \alpha## and get

##cos\alpha = \frac{\phi^{\prime}}{\sqrt{\phi^{\prime 2}+\theta^{\prime 2} sin^{2} \phi}}##

Now, assume ##\alpha##=const for all t.
Then we get the ODE
##C d\theta = \frac{d\phi}{sin\phi}## which yields

##\theta(\phi) = C_1 \ln \tan \frac{\phi}{2} + C_2##

This is the loxodrome equation. Now, somehow I need to find out how do we get to the parametric equations (see #1) from here...

here is the answer... It turns out, the "loxodrome parametric equations" are actually a special case of the oblate spheroid coordinates
##x=a cosh(\mu) cos(\nu)cos(\phi)##
##y=a cosh(\mu) cos(\nu)sin(\phi)##
##z=a sinh(\mu) sin(\nu))##

when ##abs(\mu)## is large enough. Then ##a cosh(\mu) = a sinh (\mu) = R=\mbox{const}## and the above becomes the parametrization of a sphere
##x=R cos(\nu)cos(\phi)##
##y=R cos(\nu)sin(\phi)##
##z=-R sin(\nu))##

even though in oblate spheroid coordinates ##\mu## is not supposed to be negative, the above should work fine to parametrize a sphere (correct me if I'm wrong).

Now the only thing I need to sort out is why does Mathworld stipulate ##c=tan^{-1}(at)##. Some say (see here https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20110605025959AAzWdiY) that because this way
##cos(c) =\frac{1}{\sqrt{1+a^2t^2}}## and
##sin(c)=\frac{at}{\sqrt{1+a^2t^2}}##

But then we can equally well may set them to be

##cos(c)=t## and
##sin(c)=\sqrt{1-t^2}##...

Perhaps this needs another thread on its own,...

What is the loxodrome (spherical spiral) equation?

The loxodrome equation is a mathematical formula that describes the path taken by a ship or airplane that maintains a constant angle with respect to the meridians of longitude as it travels around a sphere. This results in a spiral path rather than a straight line.

How is the loxodrome equation used in navigation?

The loxodrome equation is used in navigation to calculate the course and distance between two points on a sphere, such as a ship's position and its destination. It is also used to determine the shortest path between two points on a sphere, which is useful for flight planning.

What is the history of the loxodrome equation?

The concept of the loxodrome was first introduced by the French mathematician Pierre de Fermat in the 17th century. It was later refined by the Dutch mathematician Willebrord Snellius and the English mathematician Thomas Harriot. The modern form of the equation was developed by the Swiss mathematician Leonhard Euler in the 18th century.

What are some real-world applications of the loxodrome equation?

The loxodrome equation has many practical applications, including navigation, flight planning, and map projections. It is also used in geodesy to measure the Earth's surface and in satellite navigation systems, such as GPS.

What are some challenges associated with the loxodrome equation?

One of the main challenges with the loxodrome equation is that it only applies to perfect spheres, while the Earth is actually an oblate spheroid. This means that the calculated distance and course may be slightly off in real-world applications. Additionally, the loxodrome equation is only accurate for short distances, so it is not suitable for long-distance navigation.