[Python] Keeping the session alive

• Thread starter adjacent
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Python
In summary, the capatcha.php will generate an image and put it in the form. However, the html saved by the capatcha.php does not have a table. I am not sure what you are talking about; but, is there, by any chance, a missing extension ".txt" in the system call?
adjacent
Gold Member
I am experimenting with capatcha images. I have a capatcha.php in my local host which will generate an image and that image will be put into the form

Here is my python code to get the image, extract the text in it and send them back to the form. And finally save the resulting form as html.
The form has Two fields, Number and Code. And it will return a table of things.
But it's not working. The html saved by python does not have the table. I don't see any problem with the code :confused:
Code:
import os
import requests

p = requests.session()
q = p.get('[PLAIN]http://localhost/Test/Capatcha.php')[/PLAIN] 
with open('data/a.png', 'wb') as f:
    f.write(q.content)
os.system("tesseract C:\\Users\\Me\\Desktop\\Test\\data\\a.png C:\\Users\\Me\\Desktop\\Test\\data\\a")
with open("data\\a.txt") as cap:
    capData = cap.read()
print("Capatcha line:"+capData)
num = input("Please enter the number :")
payload = {
    'Code': capData,
    'q': num
}

url = "[PLAIN]http://localhost/Test/index.php"[/PLAIN] 
r = p.post(url, data=payload)

with open("data\\log.html", "w") as file:
    log = file.write(r.text)

Last edited by a moderator:
Technology news on Phys.org
I have not idea what you are talking about; but, is there, by any chance, a missing extension ".txt" in the system call? That might be the reason why your a.txt file does not have what is supposed to?

gsal said:
I have not idea what you are talking about;
Why? Can you tell me what you didn't understand?
I have a folder in my localhost which is called 'Test'. In that folder, I have two php files: Capatcha.php and Index.php. I also have a folder called 'data' in the 'test' folder.
What the capatcha.php does is, start a session and generate a random image with numbers.

The index.php has two input fields one is called 'Code' and other is called 'q'.
What I am trying to do is, download the capatcha image from the capatcha.php and get the text in the capatcha image with an OCR engine(Tesseract).
The code in os.system() will save the resulting text in a text file called data.txt. And I will save that text in a variable called 'capData'
Then the python program will ask for a number which I will enter manually. It will be saved in a variable called 'num'
Then the python program will connect to index.php and enter the values of 'q' which will be the value for 'num' ,and 'Code' which will be the value for 'capData'.
Then If the 'Code' matches the one in the capatcha image, the php file will generate a table containing a name and the number.

My problem is that it does not generate the table and I think the reason is because when the python program connects the index.php, it is not in the capatcha session. It started a new session.

So My question is how to keep the session alive. I don't see any problem in my code above. However, it does not work.

gsal said:
is there, by any chance, a missing extension ".txt" in the system call? That might be the reason why your a.txt file does not have what is supposed to?
'Tesseract' (OCR engine) will automatically save it as a text file.

Here is a php code which does the same thing I am trying to do.
Code:
<?php
include("simple_html_dom.php");
$tmp_fname = tempnam("data", "COOKIE");

$header[0] = "Accept: text/xml,application/xml,application/xhtml+xml,";
$header[0] .= "text/html;q=0.9,text/plain;q=0.8,image/png,*/*;q=0.5";
$header[] = "Cache-Control: max-age=0";
$header[] = "Connection: keep-alive";
$header[] = "Keep-Alive: 300";
$header[] = "Accept-Charset: ISO-8859-1,utf-8;q=0.7,*;q=0.7";
$header[] = "Accept-Language: en-us,en;q=0.5";
$header[] = "Pragma: ";

$curl_handle = curl_init("[PLAIN]http://localhost/Test/Capatcha.php");[/PLAIN] 
curl_setopt($curl_handle, CURLOPT_USERAGENT, 'Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; rv:31.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/31.0');
curl_setopt($curl_handle, CURLOPT_HTTPHEADER, $header);
curl_setopt($curl_handle, CURLOPT_REFERER, '[PLAIN]http://localhost/');[/PLAIN] [/PLAIN] 
curl_setopt($curl_handle, CURLOPT_COOKIEJAR, $tmp_fname);
curl_setopt($curl_handle, CURLOPT_COOKIEFILE, $tmp_fname);
curl_setopt($curl_handle, CURLOPT_RETURNTRANSFER, true);
$output = curl_exec($curl_handle);

file_put_contents("data/a.png", $output);
$path = "C:/xampp/htdocs/edi/";
try
{
   exec($path."Tesseract-OCR/tesseract.exe ".$path."data/a.png ".$path."data/a", $msg);
   $capture = trim(file_get_contents("data/a.txt"));
   echo $capture;
   unlink("data/a.txt");
}
catch (Exception $e)
{
   echo $e;
}

$curl_handle = curl_init("[PLAIN]http://localhost/Test/index.php");[/PLAIN] 
curl_setopt($curl_handle, CURLOPT_USERAGENT, 'Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; rv:31.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/31.0');
curl_setopt($curl_handle, CURLOPT_HTTPHEADER, $header);
curl_setopt($curl_handle, CURLOPT_REFERER, '[PLAIN]http://localhost/');[/PLAIN] [/PLAIN] 
curl_setopt($curl_handle, CURLOPT_COOKIEFILE, $tmp_fname);
curl_setopt($curl_handle, CURLOPT_RETURNTRANSFER, true);
curl_setopt($curl_handle, CURLOPT_POSTFIELDS, array("captcha"=>$capture, "number"=>$_REQUEST['q'], "submit"=>""));
$output = curl_exec($curl_handle);

[B]$html = str_get_html($output);[/B]

?>

Last edited by a moderator:
I have solved this by putting everything in a "with requests.session() as s:"

Thanks anyway. :D

As a scientist, it is important to thoroughly troubleshoot any issues encountered in an experiment. In this case, it seems that the issue may be with the website or form itself, rather than the Python code. I would suggest checking the HTML code of the form to see if the table is present, and also checking the website's backend to ensure that the form is properly set up to display the table. Additionally, it may be helpful to try running the code with a different website or form to see if the issue persists. If the problem persists, further investigation and debugging may be necessary to determine the root cause.

Related to [Python] Keeping the session alive

What is a session in Python?

A session in Python refers to the period of time when a user interacts with a web application or program. During this session, the user's data and information is stored and can be used for future interactions.

Why is it important to keep the session alive in Python?

Keeping the session alive in Python is important because it allows for a seamless and uninterrupted user experience. Without a live session, the user may have to constantly log in and re-enter their information, causing frustration and potential loss of data.

How can I keep the session alive in Python?

To keep the session alive in Python, you can use the session management tools provided by web development frameworks such as Flask or Django. These tools allow you to set a session timeout, refresh the session, and store the session data securely.

What happens if the session expires in Python?

If the session expires in Python, the user will be forced to log in again and any unsaved data or information will be lost. This can also result in a poor user experience and potentially impact the functionality of the application.

Is it possible to manually end a session in Python?

Yes, it is possible to manually end a session in Python by using the "session.clear()" or "session.pop()" methods. These methods will remove all data and information associated with the current session.

Back