Q is dense in R question about proof

• Thread starter A_B
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Proof
In summary, the conversation discusses the proof that Q is dense in R as presented in Rudin's Principles of Mathematical Analysis. The key is to define m as the minimum of a set and show that it exists and satisfies certain conditions. The conversation also mentions the introduction of integers and suggests a book for further learning.
A_B
Hi,

In Rudin's Principles of Mathematical Analysis there's the following proof that Q is dense in R.

Theorem: If [itex] x,y\in \mathbb{R}[/itex] and [itex]x < y [/itex] there exists a [itex]p \in \mathbb{Q} [/itex] such that [itex] x<p<y.[/itex]

Proof: Since [itex]x<y[/itex], we have [itex]y-x>0[/itex]. It follow from the Archimedian property that there is a positive integer [itex]n[/itex] such that
[tex]n(y-x)>1.[/tex]
We again apply the Archimedian property to find positive integers [itex]m_1[/itex] a,d [itex]m_2[/itex] such that [itex]m_1>nx[/itex] and [itex]m_2>-nx[/itex]. Then
[tex]-m_2<nx<m_1.[/tex]
Hence there is an integer [itex]m[/itex] (with [itex]-m_2\leq m\leq m_1[/itex]) such that
[tex]m-1\leq nx < m.[/tex]

We combine the inequalities to get
[tex]nx < m \leq 1+nx < ny.[/tex]
n is positive so
[tex]x < \frac{m}{n} < y.[/tex]
Which proves that [itex]\mathbb{Q}[/itex] is dense in [itex]\mathbb{R}[/itex].

How one concludes that the m in the red bit exists is what's troubling me.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Hmm, you're not the first one to ask that very question.

Anyway, the key is to define

[tex]m=\min\{k\in \mathbb{Z}~\vert~nx<k\}[/tex]

However, there are some things we need to show:

- Does the minimum exist?? I.e. is the set [itex]\{k\in \mathbb{Z}~\vert~nx<k\}[/itex] non-empty, does it have a lower bound? Why is the infimum a minimum?
- does [itex]m-1\leq nx<m[/itex] hold.

i.e. are you aware of the well ordering principle?

Thanks for the replies, seems I don't know enough about integers yet, so I've been looking into them.
I've found another book on analysis which does introduce the integers, it defines them as "those real numbers which are in every inductive set."

But this isn't how the integers are usually introduced is it?

What's a good book to learn enough about integers (and maybe a little more)?

Thanks

This is self evident .Any real number must lie between two successive integers . When You have the natural number system ,Irrationals fill the gaps between any 2 successive integers . It's very simple.

What does it mean for Q to be dense in R?

Being dense in R means that every real number can be approximated by a sequence of rational numbers. In other words, there exists a rational number between any two real numbers.

How do you prove that Q is dense in R?

One way to prove this is by showing that for any two real numbers a and b, there exists a rational number r such that a < r < b. This can be done using the Archimedean property of real numbers and the fact that between any two real numbers there exists an infinite number of rational numbers.

Why is it important to prove that Q is dense in R?

This proof is important in many areas of mathematics, including analysis, number theory, and geometry. It helps establish the connections between rational and real numbers, and allows us to use rational numbers to approximate real numbers in calculations and measurements.

Can you give an example of how Q is dense in R?

One example is the sequence of rational numbers that approximates pi: 3.1, 3.14, 3.141, 3.1415, etc. Each term in this sequence is a rational number, but as the sequence gets longer, it gets closer and closer to the irrational number pi.

Is Q the only set that is dense in R?

No, there are other sets that are dense in R, such as the set of algebraic numbers (numbers that can be expressed as roots of polynomial equations with rational coefficients) and the set of computable numbers (numbers that can be computed to any desired precision). However, Q is the smallest and most well-known of these sets.