Q-Switching Frequency for Acousto-Optic Modulator & 980nm Laser

• Thread starter whatisreality
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Frequency
In summary, an acousto-optic modulator with a deflection angle of 0.1 degrees and using a laser with a wavelength of 980nm can achieve a maximum Q switch rate of approximately 18.9 MHz. This is calculated using the equation for pulse separation time, where the wavelength of the sound in quartz is used as the cavity length. The speed of sound in quartz and its refractive index are also taken into account in the calculation.
whatisreality

Homework Statement

An acousto-optic modulator is used to Q-switch a laser with ##\lambda = 980##nm. The angle of deflection is ##\theta = 0.1## degrees, the speed of sound in quartz is 3700m/s and it has refractive index of 1.5. What is the maximum Q switch rate?
I'm not exactly sure what I'm being asked to do - I think by switch rate it might mean the frequency of pulses? If that's the case and I calculate the wavelength of the sound in quartz, would the pulse separation be ##t = \frac{2n\lambda}{c}##? Usually the ##\lambda## would be the cavity length ##L##, but in this case are they equal?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
I think the answer might be ##f = \frac{3700\cdot 10^3}{2 \cdot 1.5 \cdot 0.01 \cdot 9.8 \cdot 10^{-6}} = 18.9 \cdot 10^6 \text{Hz}##

What is Q-Switching frequency?

Q-Switching frequency refers to the rate at which an acousto-optic modulator (AOM) is switched on and off. This frequency can range from a few hundred Hertz to several megahertz, depending on the specific application and laser system.

How does Q-Switching frequency affect the output of a 980nm laser?

The Q-Switching frequency plays a crucial role in determining the pulse duration and peak power of a 980nm laser. A higher Q-Switching frequency results in shorter pulse durations and higher peak powers, while a lower frequency leads to longer pulses with lower peak powers.

What is the optimal Q-Switching frequency for a 980nm laser?

The optimal Q-Switching frequency for a 980nm laser depends on the specific system and desired output parameters. It is typically determined through experimentation and optimization to achieve the desired pulse duration and peak power for a particular application.

What factors can affect Q-Switching frequency for an AOM and 980nm laser?

The main factors that can affect Q-Switching frequency include the RF power and frequency applied to the AOM, the AOM crystal properties, and the laser cavity design. Other factors such as temperature and alignment can also have an impact on the Q-Switching frequency.

What are some common applications of Q-Switching frequency for an AOM and 980nm laser?

Q-Switching frequency is commonly used in applications that require high peak power and short pulse durations, such as laser marking, material processing, and laser surgery. It is also used in pulsed laser spectroscopy and time-resolved measurements in scientific research.