Lagrangian and Feynman diagrams

In summary, the Lagrangian for the $\phi ^4$ theory contains three terms, with the first term representing the kinetic term, the second term representing the propagator, and the third term representing the vertex. The kinetic term can be rewritten in a form where a new field $\sigma$ appears, but this field has no kinetic term and thus no external lines. The counter term for the kinetic term comes from self-energy diagrams with two external lines and contributes to the renormalization of the kinetic term, represented by the terms ##\delta Z## and ##\delta m^2##.
Neutrinos02
Hello,

Consider the the following Lagrangian of the $\phi ^4$ theory:
$$\begin{align*} \mathcal{L} = \frac{1}{2} [\partial ^{\mu} \phi \partial _{\mu} \phi - m^2 \phi ^2] - \frac{\lambda}{4!} \phi ^4 \end{align*}$$

Now I'm interested in Feynman diagrams.

1. The second term gives the propagator an the third a vertex but what about the first term $$\frac{1}{2} [\partial ^{\mu} \phi \partial _{\mu} \phi]~?$$

2. How does this kinetic term looks like in the feynman diagram formalism?

3. I also don't understand how to renormalize this first term (maybe this question is solved if I know how this term looks like in the sense of feynman diagrams).

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Neutrinos02 said:
1. The second term gives the propagator an the third a vertex but what about the first term $$\frac{1}{2} [\partial ^{\mu} \phi \partial _{\mu} \phi]~?$$
The second term does not give the propagator. The first and second terms together do.

Likes bhobba
Demystifier said:
The second term does not give the propagator. The first and second terms together do.

I can rewrite the Lagrangian in a form where a new field $\sigma$ appears and for this field exists no kinetic term. I thougth this means that there are no external lines for this field. So is there a link between this kinetic term and the external lines?

And how is it possible that we obtain
$$ \mathcal{L} = \frac{1}{2} (1+ \delta Z)(\partial_{\mu} \phi)^2 + \frac{1}{2}(m^2 + \delta m^2) \phi^2 +...$$
for the renormalization of the kinetic term if it is "bounded" in the propagator? More precise shouldn't the counterterm Z be part of . So what are the diagrams for Z?

the counter term comes from self-energy diagrams, i.e., diagrams with two external lines. Power counting tells you that this is quadratically divergent. Due to Lorentz invariance, it can only depend on ##p^2## (with ##p## being the four momentum of the external lines) the counter term thus is of the form ##A p^2-Bm^2## with ##A## and ##B## dimensionless quantities. This tells you that the self-energy diagrams' counter terms contribute to ##\delta Z## and ##\delta m^2##. Your 2nd term should have a minus sign in front, by the way, i.e., it's ##...-1/2 (m^2+\delta m^2)\phi^2##.

Likes bhobba

What are Lagrangian and Feynman diagrams?

Lagrangian and Feynman diagrams are graphical representations used in theoretical physics to visualize and calculate the behavior of particles and their interactions. They are based on the principles of classical mechanics and quantum field theory.

How are Lagrangian and Feynman diagrams used in physics?

These diagrams are used to calculate and predict the behavior of particles in different physical systems, such as particle collisions or decays. They provide a graphical representation of the mathematical equations that describe the interactions between particles.

What is the difference between Lagrangian and Feynman diagrams?

Lagrangian diagrams show the motion of particles in a classical mechanical system, while Feynman diagrams show the interactions between particles in a quantum field theory. Feynman diagrams are more complex and take into account the probabilistic nature of quantum mechanics.

What are the advantages of using Lagrangian and Feynman diagrams?

These diagrams provide a visual representation of complex mathematical equations, making it easier to understand and calculate the behavior of particles in different physical systems. They also allow for the prediction of new particles and interactions that have not yet been observed in experiments.

What are some common misconceptions about Lagrangian and Feynman diagrams?

One common misconception is that these diagrams represent actual physical particles or their paths. In reality, they are simply a mathematical tool used to calculate and understand particle behavior. Another misconception is that these diagrams can predict the exact outcome of a physical system, when in fact they provide probabilities for different outcomes based on the laws of quantum mechanics.