1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

QFFF at Imperial

1. Dec 3, 2011 #1
    Hi guys!

I've got a few questions about the Quantum Fields and Fundamental Forces MSc at Imperial.

Here's my background:

- Pure Mathematician at Oxford (MMATH)
    - Studied Theoretical Physics as a hobby for years
    - Wanting to Move into the field as a graduate
    - Self-Funding (through working in my gap-year)
    - Final Classification: high 2.i in fourth year, first class otherwise (one *seriously* awful half-paper in fourth year - my fault :) ).

Here's my questions:

- How hard is the course to get into? (I've heard of a 2.i Oxford Physicist getting rejected).
    - Are the admissions committee likely to discriminate against me given that I
    (i) Narrowly Missed out on a first?
    (ii) Am a Pure Mathematician by training

Thanks!

Last edited: Dec 3, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 10, 2012 #2
    Hi.
    I do not want do demoralise you, but the course explicitly requires a 1.1 in Physics or in a strongly related subject, with a high theoretical components. Maybe that's why some 2.1 holders have been rejected. However, if your 2.1 is pretty high and is from Oxford, I really think you have to try, but bear in mind that maybe your qualification is not the most suitable for this MSc(from what I gather reading the website of Imperial).

Hope this is helpful
    Bye

4. Jan 11, 2012 #3
    A few years ago, somebody on PF posted saying they got into QFF with a first in Mathematics from Imperial.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook