Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

QFFF at Imperial

1. Dec 3, 2011 #1
    Hi guys!

I've got a few questions about the Quantum Fields and Fundamental Forces MSc at Imperial.

Here's my background:

- Pure Mathematician at Oxford (MMATH)
    - Studied Theoretical Physics as a hobby for years
    - Wanting to Move into the field as a graduate
    - Self-Funding (through working in my gap-year)
    - Final Classification: high 2.i in fourth year, first class otherwise (one *seriously* awful half-paper in fourth year - my fault :) ).

Here's my questions:

- How hard is the course to get into? (I've heard of a 2.i Oxford Physicist getting rejected).
    - Are the admissions committee likely to discriminate against me given that I
    (i) Narrowly Missed out on a first?
    (ii) Am a Pure Mathematician by training

Thanks!

Last edited: Dec 3, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 10, 2012 #2
    Hi.
    I do not want do demoralise you, but the course explicitly requires a 1.1 in Physics or in a strongly related subject, with a high theoretical components. Maybe that's why some 2.1 holders have been rejected. However, if your 2.1 is pretty high and is from Oxford, I really think you have to try, but bear in mind that maybe your qualification is not the most suitable for this MSc(from what I gather reading the website of Imperial).

Hope this is helpful
    Bye

4. Jan 11, 2012 #3
    A few years ago, somebody on PF posted saying they got into QFF with a first in Mathematics from Imperial.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook