QM - Etop of electron distribution of a semiconductor

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
f_xer
Messages
2
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



I'm trying to find energy level above Ec where electron distribution makes a peak for a nondegenerate semiconductor. For this case we may take GaAs having Eg = 1.42eV at T = 300K.

Homework Equations


[tex]m_e[/tex]=single isotrophic effective mass or [tex]m_0[/tex]
energy states, [tex]g_{c}(E) = \frac{m_{e}\ast\sqrt{2m_{e}(E-E_{c})}}{pi^2 * hbar^3}[/tex]
fermi function for a nondegenerate semiconductor, [tex]f(E) = exp((E_f-E)/kT)[/tex]
electron distribution, [tex]n=N_{c}*exp((Ef-Ec)/kT)[/tex] and [tex]N_{c}=4.21\ast10^{17} cm^-3[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution


I think I'll give a fermi energy level equal to 3kT above Ec where semi.con. is still nondegenerate. Then I'll calculate n. Afterwards I'll equate n to [tex]\int g_{c}(E)*f(E)*dE[/tex] taking a limit to 99 % of n. By that I intend to find top limit of the integral which must be the Etop.
But i do not how to evaluate a integral such as [tex]\sqrt{E}*exp(c*E)[/tex]
ps: partial integral is not working.
Is there another {easy :( }approach?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I found the answer:
derivative of
[tex]g_{c}(E) * f(E)[/tex]
gives the minimum points of electron distribution
one of them is [tex]E_{c}[/tex] and the other is [tex]E_{top}[/tex] which is asked by the question ;)