1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

QM - Etop of electron distribution of a semiconductor

1. Nov 14, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I'm trying to find energy level above Ec where electron distribution makes a peak for a nondegenerate semiconductor. For this case we may take GaAs having Eg = 1.42eV at T = 300K.

2. Relevant equations
    [tex]m_e[/tex]=single isotrophic effective mass or [tex]m_0[/tex]
    energy states, [tex]g_{c}(E) = \frac{m_{e}\ast\sqrt{2m_{e}(E-E_{c})}}{pi^2 * hbar^3}[/tex]
    fermi function for a nondegenerate semiconductor, [tex]f(E) = exp((E_f-E)/kT)[/tex]
    electron distribution, [tex]n=N_{c}*exp((Ef-Ec)/kT)[/tex] and [tex]N_{c}=4.21\ast10^{17} cm^-3[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    I think I'll give a fermi energy level equal to 3kT above Ec where semi.con. is still nondegenerate. Then I'll calculate n. Afterwards I'll equate n to [tex]\int g_{c}(E)*f(E)*dE [/tex] taking a limit to 99 % of n. By that I intend to find top limit of the integral which must be the Etop.
    But i do not how to evaluate a integral such as [tex]\sqrt{E}*exp(c*E)[/tex]
    ps: partial integral is not working.
    Is there another {easy :( }approach?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 17, 2009 #2
    I found the answer:
    derivative of
    [tex]g_{c}(E) * f(E) [/tex]
    gives the minimum points of electron distribution
    one of them is [tex]E_{c}[/tex] and the other is [tex]E_{top}[/tex] which is asked by the question ;)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook