1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

(Solid State) fraction of electrons within kT of fermi level

1. Jun 11, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Show that the fraction of electrons within kT of the fermi level is equal to 3kT/2Ef, if D(E) = E^1/2.

2. Relevant equations

f(E) = 1 / ( exp(E-Ef)/kT + 1 ) fermi distribution

N = integral from 0 to inf of D(E)f(E)dE = total no. of electrons

3. The attempt at a solution

I'm really lost with this problem.

I'm not even sure if I have to solve it at T = 0, in which case I tried to calculate n = integral from Ef - kT to Ef of D(E)f(E)dE over N = integral from 0 to Ef of D(E)f(E)dE with f(E) = 1,

OR at a temperature T which is finite such that now I calculate n = integral from Ef - kT to Ef + kT of D(E)f(E)dE over N as defined in "relevant equations" above. In the first case I get a horrible algebraic expression which does not simplify to what I'm supposed to get and in the second case I get integrals I don't know how to evaluate and can't even calculate using mathcad.

Any hints would be highly appreciated.

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 11, 2009 #2
    Okay, I managed to get the answer.

For those who are interested, the calculation should be done at T = 0. Since the electrons are within kT of Ef, and Ef >> kT, the density of states is just D(Ef) = 3N/2Ef which is constant so it can come out of the integral in the numerator (the integral from Ef - kT to Ef + kT of D(E)f(E)dE). Remember that f(E) = 1 for E < Ef and 0 for E > Ef at T = 0.

To get the final answer just divide the result of this integral by N, the total number of electrons.

Cheers.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook