(Solid State) fraction of electrons within kT of fermi level

In summary, the problem is to show that the fraction of electrons within kT of the fermi level is equal to 3kT/2Ef, given that D(E) = E^1/2. The solution involves calculating the integral of D(E)f(E)dE over the range of Ef - kT to Ef + kT, where f(E) is the fermi distribution function. The calculation should be done at T = 0, since Ef >> kT. The final answer is obtained by dividing the result of the integral by the total number of electrons.
wdednam

Homework Statement

Show that the fraction of electrons within kT of the fermi level is equal to 3kT/2Ef, if D(E) = E^1/2.

Homework Equations

f(E) = 1 / ( exp(E-Ef)/kT + 1 ) fermi distribution

N = integral from 0 to inf of D(E)f(E)dE = total no. of electrons

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm really lost with this problem.

I'm not even sure if I have to solve it at T = 0, in which case I tried to calculate n = integral from Ef - kT to Ef of D(E)f(E)dE over N = integral from 0 to Ef of D(E)f(E)dE with f(E) = 1,

OR at a temperature T which is finite such that now I calculate n = integral from Ef - kT to Ef + kT of D(E)f(E)dE over N as defined in "relevant equations" above. In the first case I get a horrible algebraic expression which does not simplify to what I'm supposed to get and in the second case I get integrals I don't know how to evaluate and can't even calculate using mathcad.

Any hints would be highly appreciated.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Okay, I managed to get the answer.

For those who are interested, the calculation should be done at T = 0. Since the electrons are within kT of Ef, and Ef >> kT, the density of states is just D(Ef) = 3N/2Ef which is constant so it can come out of the integral in the numerator (the integral from Ef - kT to Ef + kT of D(E)f(E)dE). Remember that f(E) = 1 for E < Ef and 0 for E > Ef at T = 0.

To get the final answer just divide the result of this integral by N, the total number of electrons.

Cheers.

Likes monica.muradya

1. What is the (Solid State) fraction of electrons within kT of fermi level?

The (Solid State) fraction of electrons within kT of fermi level refers to the proportion of electrons that have an energy level within a range of kT (thermal energy) around the fermi level. This fraction is determined by the temperature and the energy distribution of the electrons in a solid material.

2. Why is the (Solid State) fraction of electrons within kT of fermi level important?

This fraction is important because it determines the electrical and thermal properties of a material. The higher the fraction, the more conductive the material is, and the lower the fraction, the more insulating the material is.

3. How is the (Solid State) fraction of electrons within kT of fermi level calculated?

The fraction can be calculated using the Fermi-Dirac distribution function, which takes into account the temperature and the energy level of the electrons. It is also dependent on the material's band structure and density of states.

4. What is the relationship between temperature and the (Solid State) fraction of electrons within kT of fermi level?

The fraction of electrons within kT of fermi level increases as the temperature increases. This is because at higher temperatures, more electrons have enough thermal energy to reach the fermi level.

5. How does the (Solid State) fraction of electrons within kT of fermi level affect a material's conductivity?

The higher the fraction of electrons within kT of fermi level, the more conductive the material is. This is because these electrons contribute to the material's electrical conductivity by being able to move freely and carry an electric current.