Quadratic reciprocity question

• Thread starter math_grl
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Quadratic
In summary, the problem asks to show that the congruence x^2 + (p+1)/4 \equiv 0 (\mod p) where p \equiv 3 (\mod 4) and p is prime does not have a solution. This can be done using Legendre's and Jacobi symbol, as well as congruences.
math_grl

Homework Statement

Show [tex]x^2 + (p+1)/4 \equiv 0 (\mod p)[/tex] where [tex]p \equiv 3 (\mod 4)[/tex] and p is prime is not solvable.

Homework Equations

Legendre's and Jacobi symbol, congruences

The Attempt at a Solution

Noticing that [tex]x^2 \equiv -(k+1) (\mod p)[/tex] when [tex]p = 4k + 3[/tex] ?
Now (-1/p)(k+1/p) should tell use whether this has a solution.
But (-1/p)=-1. How do you get (k+1/p)? Am I even on the right track?

Does (k+1/p) = (-1) (p/k+1)= (-1) (-1/k+1)? plus who's to say that k+1 is not factorable?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
math_grl said:

Homework Statement

Show [tex]x^2 + (p+1)/4 \equiv 0 (\mod p)[/tex] where [tex]p \equiv 3 (\mod 4)[/tex].

Homework Equations

Legendre's and Jacobi symbol, congruences

The Attempt at a Solution

Noticing that [tex]x^2 \equiv -(k+1) (\mod p)[/tex] when [tex]p = 4k + 3[/tex] ?
Now (-1/p)(k+1/p) should tell use whether this has a solution.
But (-1/p)=-1. How do you get (k+1/p)? Am I even on the right track?

Does (k+1/p) = (-1) (p/k+1)= (-1) (-1/k+1)? plus who's to say that k+1 is not factorable?
I believe that your problem statement is incorrect, as it's not identically true for arbitrary value of x and p. Instead, I think it should instead ask for solutions of the equation.

Here's an example. Let p = 3.
Then the statement is
x2 + (3 + 1)/4 [itex]\equiv[/itex] 0 (mod 3).

Simplifying a bit gives
x2 + 1 [itex]\equiv[/itex] 0 (mod 3).

If x = 0, the above says that 1 [itex]\equiv[/itex] 0 (mod 3) - not true.
If x = 1, we have 2 [itex]\equiv[/itex] 0 (mod 3) - again not true.
If x = 2, we have 5 [itex]\equiv[/itex] 0 (mod 3) - also not true.

Please clarify what it is that you need to do.

I have edited the first post...i left out p is prime and we want to see show that the congruence is not solvable.

What is the Quadratic Reciprocity Question?

The Quadratic Reciprocity Question is a famous mathematical problem that asks whether for two given prime numbers p and q, there exists an integer x such that x2 is congruent to p mod q and q mod p.

Why is the Quadratic Reciprocity Question important?

The Quadratic Reciprocity Question has many important applications in number theory and cryptography. It also has connections to other areas of mathematics, such as algebraic geometry and group theory.

What is the Quadratic Reciprocity Law?

The Quadratic Reciprocity Law is a theorem that provides a general solution to the Quadratic Reciprocity Question. It states that for any two distinct odd prime numbers p and q, there exists an integer x such that x2 is congruent to p mod q and q mod p.

What is the history of the Quadratic Reciprocity Question?

The Quadratic Reciprocity Question was first posed by mathematician Carl Friedrich Gauss in the late 18th century. Many mathematicians worked on solving this problem, and it was finally resolved by Adrien-Marie Legendre and Carl Gustav Jacobi in the 19th century.

What are some real-world applications of the Quadratic Reciprocity Question?

The Quadratic Reciprocity Question has applications in cryptography, particularly in the design of secure encryption algorithms. It also has implications for prime number testing and factorization, which are important in fields such as computer science and cryptography.