1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quantam Mechanic - Particle in a rigid one-d box (PDF)

1. Feb 2, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Write down and sketch the probability distribution for the second excited state (n=3) of a particle in a rigid box of length a.

What are the probabilities of finding a particle in the intervals [0.50a, 0.51a] and [0.75a, 0.76a]?

2. Relevant equations

|ψ(x)|^2 = (2/L)sin^2(n∏x/L)

3. The attempt at a solution

I've found the solution online: http://www.uic.edu/classes/phys/phys244ma/p244hw7.html

However, I'm not understanding how they are getting the answers.

Multiply the wave-function squared times the distance between the two points, but I'm not sure why the sine squared term in the first part is one, while in the second part you are to use sin^2(9∏/4)?

Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 2, 2013 #2

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

In the first part, the author is making an approximation. In the range [itex]x \in [ 0.5a,0.51a] [/itex] :

[tex]\sin^2{\frac{3\pi}{a}x} \approx \sin^2{\frac{3\pi}{2}} = 1[/tex]

In the second part, that approximation does not hold, so the author uses a more general expression.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook