Quantification of Entropy and the 2nd Law of Thermodynamics

In summary, the conversation discusses the second law of thermodynamics and its equation, stating that ΔSuniverse should be greater than 0. However, after using equations [2], [3], and [4], the result is 0 > 0, which is not true. The speaker is unsure of where the issue lies and is seeking clarification.
transmini
All of my information comes from my current chemistry class, I just want to know where I either may have misread, misinterpreted, or was mistold information.

With the 2nd Law of Thermodynamics we can say $$[1]\space\space \Delta{S}_{universe} = \Delta{S}_{surroundings} + \Delta{S}_{system} > 0$$
Then using $$[2]\space\space \Delta{S}_{system} = \frac{q_{rev}}{T}$$
with (at constant pressure) $$[3]\space\space q = \Delta{H}$$
and (from the 1st Law of Thermodynamics) $$[4]\space\space \Delta{H}_{system} + \Delta{H}_{surroundings} = 0$$
we can get $$[4]\space\space \Delta{S}_{system} = \frac{\Delta{H}_{system}}{T}$$ $$[5]\space\space \Delta{S}_{surroundings} = \frac{\Delta{H}_{surroundings}}{T} = \frac{-\Delta{H}_{system}}{T}$$.
Substituting these back into [1] would give $$[6] \space\space \Delta{S}_{universe} = \frac{-\Delta{H}_{system}}{T} + \frac{\Delta{H}_{system}}{T} > 0$$
which simplifies to $$0 > 0 $$
which is not true.

I'm assuming I did something wrong with this, but cannot figure out what. Where is the issue?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
The second law states that ##\Delta S_{universe} \geq 0##. Specifically, for reversible processes (you are assuming reversibility because you've made qrev = q), ΔSuniverse = 0.

Likes MexChemE

1. What is entropy and how is it quantified?

Entropy is a measure of the disorder or randomness in a system. It is quantified by the second law of thermodynamics, which states that the total entropy of a closed system will always increase over time.

2. How is entropy related to the second law of thermodynamics?

The second law of thermodynamics states that in any spontaneous process, the total entropy of a closed system will always increase. This means that as energy is converted and transferred, some of it will always be lost in the form of entropy.

3. Can entropy be reversed or decreased?

According to the second law of thermodynamics, the total entropy of a closed system will always increase. While it is possible to decrease the entropy of a specific part of a system, the overall entropy of the system will still increase.

4. How does the quantification of entropy relate to the concept of disorder?

The quantification of entropy is a measure of the disorder or randomness in a system. A system with high entropy will have a higher degree of disorder, while a system with low entropy will have a higher degree of order. This is because as entropy increases, energy becomes less organized and more dispersed.

5. Can the second law of thermodynamics be violated?

The second law of thermodynamics is considered a fundamental law of nature and has not been observed to be violated. While it may appear that certain processes violate the second law, they are often balanced by other processes that increase the overall entropy of the system.