Quantitative Financial Economics

In summary, Cuthbertson's "Quantitative Financial Economics: Stocks, Bonds and Foreign Exchange" is a good book for someone with the "usual" background in physics. However, it is obsolete even if it is two years old and there are other books that are more focused on the "why people are doing what they are doing."
f95toli
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I am a bit curios about what quants really do and am therefore planning to buy a book about quantitative analysis (basically to read for fun).
Can someone recommed a good book which describes "real world" techniques?
Preferably something suitable for someone with the "usual" background (in my case a PhD in physics).

Is Cuthbertson's "Quantitative Financial Economics: Stocks, Bonds and Foreign Exchange" any good?

Physics news on Phys.org
f95toli said:
I am a bit curios about what quants really do and am therefore planning to buy a book about quantitative analysis (basically to read for fun).
Can someone recommed a good book which describes "real world" techniques?
Preferably something suitable for someone with the "usual" background (in my case a PhD in physics).

The two books that I'd recommend that focus more on the "why people are doing what they are doing" are:

Kuznetsov - The complete guide to capital markets for quantitative professionals
Neftci - Principles of Financial Engineering

There is also

Fusai - Implementing Models in Quantitative Finance: Methods and Cases

which you can read as a series of case studies.

There are other books that can get more into the nitty-gritty of the math. Paul Wilmott. Baxter-Finney. Sherve and Okensdal.

One thing that you should realize in reading the texts is that a lot of the stuff in them is obsolete even if the text is two years old.

f95toli said:
Is Cuthbertson's "Quantitative Financial Economics: Stocks, Bonds and Foreign Exchange" any good?

Looking at the table of contents, it's more oriented to the type of work that gets done in buy-side hedge funds and by portfolio managers, but it's quite different from the modeling that gets done by sell-side quants in investment banks. There are about a dozen different "games" that people play in finance, and what I like about Kuznetsov is that he gives you an overview of the different games and the different players.

One thing that will give you an idea of the type of work that people do. If you read Cuthbertson talk about the efficient market hypothesis and CAPM, this is important because they really don't work that well and as far as I'm concerned aren't useful descriptions at all of how markets work. But understanding the terms is important so that you can throw rocks at it.

Kuznetsov it is then

twofish-quant said:
One thing that will give you an idea of the type of work that people do. If you read Cuthbertson talk about the efficient market hypothesis and CAPM, this is important because they really don't work that well and as far as I'm concerned aren't useful descriptions at all of how markets work. But understanding the terms is important so that you can throw rocks at it.

Can you give the full name or the link of the talk; i can't find it.
By the way, thanks for the advices.

What is quantitative financial economics?

Quantitative financial economics is a branch of finance that uses mathematical and statistical tools to analyze financial data and make predictions about financial markets and instruments. It combines concepts from finance, economics, and mathematics to understand and model financial systems.

What are some common applications of quantitative financial economics?

Quantitative financial economics is used in a variety of applications, including risk management, asset pricing, portfolio optimization, and financial forecasting. It is also used in the development of financial products and the evaluation of investment strategies.

What skills are necessary to work in quantitative financial economics?

To work in quantitative financial economics, one needs a strong background in mathematics, statistics, and economics. An understanding of financial markets and instruments is also important, as well as proficiency in programming and data analysis.

What are some challenges in quantitative financial economics?

One major challenge in quantitative financial economics is the uncertainty and unpredictability of financial markets. Models and predictions may not always accurately reflect real-world behavior, and data may be incomplete or biased. There is also a constant need to update and improve models to keep up with changing market conditions.

How is quantitative financial economics different from traditional finance?

Traditional finance tends to rely on qualitative analysis and relies on assumptions about human behavior and market efficiency. Quantitative financial economics, on the other hand, uses mathematical and statistical techniques to analyze financial data and make predictions based on empirical evidence. It also takes into account factors such as risk and uncertainty in a more systematic and rigorous manner.