1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quantization Postulates for a Particle

1. Jan 23, 2014 #1
    Show that the operators x^2 p_x^2+p_x^2 x^2 and 〖 (xp_x+p_x x)〗^2/2 differ only by terms of order ℏ^2.

The attempt at a solution is attached (Postulates.pdf)

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 23, 2014 #2
    I don't know what you are trying to do in your solution ,you should explain it better. The first line equality is not correct,keep in mind that x,p momentum do not commute. I suggest expanding the second term first and see how it differs from the first.

4. Jan 24, 2014 #3
    I first found the quantum mechanical operator corresponding to the classical quantities xP_x, and according to the information I found on a downloaded file ("Dry2ans.pdf"), can't remember the source, I found that:
    xP_x → xP_x + P_x x

As per your suggestion, bp_psy, I don't know which second term you are talking about. Is it of the first expansion or which one?

5. Jan 26, 2014 #4
    You initial post does not say that x,[itex]p_x[/itex] are classical observables but operators.Which one is it?
    The classical observable [itex]xp_x[/itex] is represented by hermitian operator [itex]\hat{x}\hat{p}_{x}+\hat{p}_{x} \hat{x}[/itex] as they say in that document but the operator [itex]\hat{x}\hat{p}_{x}[/itex] is very different from [itex]\hat{x}\hat{p}_{x}+\hat{p}_{x}\hat{x}[/itex]. Sometime people do not hat their operators so you shouldn't always assume that no hats mean classical observables.
    What I meant by the second term is [itex]\frac{(\hat{x}\hat{p}_{x}+\hat{p}_{x}\hat{x})^2}{2}[/itex].

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted