Quantum Barrier Potential (should be easy)

In summary: The Probability of the Electron Tunnelling Through the BarriersIn summary, using equation 6-76, the electron has a 1 in 10,000,000,000,000 chance of tunnelling through the barriers.
Seda

Homework Statement

A 10-eV electron is incident on a potential barrier of height 25eV and width 1 nm.

Use equation 6-76 to calculate the order of magnitude of the probablity that the electron will tunnel through the barriers.

Repeat with width .1nm

Homework Equations

Equation 6-76 is:

E = Electron Enegy
V = Potential
a = width

T = 16 (E/V) (1- (E/V) e -2aw

To get w

w = sqrt ( 2m (V-E)) / hbar

where m = mass of electron
hbar= 6.582119 x 10-16 eV*s

The Attempt at a Solution

I know these are the right answers ( they are given)
4.95 x 10-13 and 0.197

Seems to be a simple plug and chug problem, but, However, when I plug the known values into my calculator, the expontential goes to 0. I don't know if my dimensional analysis matched up or not (im using hbar in ev*s though), or maybe my calc is limited in the size of the numbers it can display.

Also, IM not sure what 'order of magnitude' means in the context of the question.

Physics news on Phys.org
I suspect you have an error in units when you are finding w:

Seda said:
To get w

w = sqrt ( 2m (V-E)) / hbar

where m = mass of electron
hbar= 6.582119 x 10-16 eV*s

If you use m in kg, and the energies of the electron and barriers in eV, and hbar as you've given, then your units are sqrt(kg)*sqrt(eV)/(eV*s) = sqrt(kg/eV)/s.

This does not reduce to inverse meters, which you'd need to cancel out the width of the barrier in the exponent (assuming you are using the width in meters).

I suggest converting your energies of the electron and barrier to SI units (Joules) and using hbar in SI units (Joules*s).

It doesn't matter when you find the factor before the exponent (because there one uses ratios of energies... units cancel since the conversion is multiplicative)... but it does matter in the exponent.

Also: sometimes when the probabilities are low, calculators can just end up giving you zero... you should write out all your steps if this is happening and do the math with the numbers and the factors of ten separately if possible.

physics girl phd said:
If you use m in kg, and the energies of the electron and barriers in eV, and hbar as you've given...

But, if you use the mass of the electron in MeVs, everything's gravy! Why convert all the factors into Joules when you could convert the one remaining factor into eVs?

1. What is a quantum barrier potential?

A quantum barrier potential is a phenomenon in quantum mechanics where a particle encounters a barrier that has a higher energy than the particle's current energy. This barrier acts as an energy barrier that the particle must overcome to continue its motion.

2. How is a quantum barrier potential created?

A quantum barrier potential can be created by applying a potential energy barrier, such as an electric field, to a particle. This potential energy barrier creates a barrier for the particle to overcome, leading to the formation of a quantum barrier potential.

3. What is the significance of quantum barrier potential?

Quantum barrier potential plays a crucial role in understanding the behavior of particles at the quantum level. It helps explain the behavior of particles in situations where they encounter energy barriers, such as in tunneling phenomena, and it also has practical applications in technologies such as quantum computing.

4. How does quantum barrier potential affect particle behavior?

When a particle encounters a quantum barrier potential, it can either be reflected or transmitted. The probability of transmission depends on the energy of the particle and the height and width of the barrier. This can lead to interesting phenomena such as tunneling, where a particle can pass through a barrier that classically it would not have enough energy to overcome.

5. Can quantum barrier potential be manipulated?

Yes, quantum barrier potential can be manipulated by changing the height and width of the potential energy barrier. This can be done by applying different strengths of electric fields or by changing the distance between the particle and the barrier. Manipulating quantum barrier potentials can have practical applications in controlling the behavior of particles and in technologies such as quantum tunneling transistors.