Elektron beam strikes in potential barrier

R})}\right)\quad\vee\quad\left(k_2=k_1\frac{(1-\sqrt{R})}{(1+\sqrt{R})}\right)In summary, the electron beam with kinetic energy E_{k} = 10 eV will experience transmission and reflection when striking a positive potential barrier V_{0}. The energy of the beam after passing through the barrier will be E_{k} = (10 eV - V_{0}). To ensure that 40% of the beam is reflected, the potential barrier must be of a certain magnitude, which can be calculated using the
rayman123
Electron beam with kinetic energy [tex] E_{k} = 10 eV[/tex] strikes a positive potential barrier [tex] V_{0}[/tex] and the kinetic energy after the beam has passed through the barrier is [tex] E_{k} = (10 eV -V_{0})[/tex].
How big potential [tex] V_{0}[/tex] is needed so that 40% of the electron beam is going to be reflected?
What would happen if we now make the potential negative so the electron beam will gain the kinetic energy?
I would say that the energy of the particles is higher than the energy of the potential barrier, that's why we observe transmission and reflection
solving The Schrödinger equation

[tex] \frac{\partial^2}{\partial x^2}\psi(x)+\frac{2m}{\hbar^2}[E-V(x)]\psi(x)=0[/tex]
then the solutions will be

[tex] \psi_{1}=Ae^{ik_{1}x}+Be^{-ik_{1}x}[/tex] in the region x<0 [tex] k_{1}= \sqrt{\frac{2mE}{\hbar^2}}[/tex]
[tex]\psi_{1}=Ce^{ik{2}x}[/tex] in the region x>0 [tex]k_{2}= \sqrt{\frac{2m[E-V_{0}]}{\hbar^2}}[/tex]

the reflection coefficient is [tex] R= (\frac{k_{1}-k_{2}}{k_{1}+k_{2}})^2[/tex]

Can someone help me with the solution?
Is the reflection coefficient going to be 0.4? How to find that value of [tex] V_{0}[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, the reflection coefficient will be 0.4. So just solve for [tex]V_0[/tex] using that equation and knowing E = 10 eV.

I have calculted [tex] k_{1}= \sqrt{\frac{9.1\cdot10^{-31}\cdot16.02\cdot10^{-19}}{(6.626\cdot10^{-34})^{2}}[/tex]=[tex] 0.2728[/tex]

[tex]k_{1}= \sqrt{\frac{2mE}{\hbar^2}}= \sqrt{\frac{kg\cdot J}{J^2\cdot s^2}[/tex][tex]=\sqrt{\frac{kg}{N^2\cdot s^2}[/tex]=[tex] \frac{1}{m}[/tex]

then i am trying to solve the equation with R

[tex] R= (\frac{k_{1}-k_{2}}{k_{1}+k_{2}})^2[/tex] to calculate [tex] k_{2} [/tex] and finally calculate [tex] V_{0}[/tex] from the equation for [tex] k_{2} [/tex]

but i am stuck here...

[tex] R= \frac{k_{1}^2-2k_{1}k_{2}+k_{2}^2}{k_{1}^2+2k_{1}k_{2}+k_{2}^2}[/tex]
and then i substitute for R= 04 and for [tex] k_{1}= 0.2728[/tex] does anyone know i am correct so far?
if yes, how would you solve this ?

Hmm... I wouldn't use meters as the units. Try to stick in eV and Angstroms. A couple of useful constants are:

[tex]m_e c^2 = 0.511\,\text{MeV}[/tex]
[tex]\hbar c \approx 2000\,\text{eV}\cdot\text{\AA}[/tex]

But I get a very different answer than your [tex]k_1[/tex]. Remember that the wavelength of a particle is inversely related to the [tex]k[/tex] vector. So you are saying this electron has a wavelength on the order of meters. I think that is something you'd be able to see, which doesn't seem quite right.

hello you are right! I forgot that [tex] \hbars [/tex] is not the same as h!so here is my correct calculation
[tex] k_{1} = \sqrt{\frac{2mE}{\hbar^2}}=\sqrt{\frac{2\cdot9.1\cdot10^{-31}\cdot10eV}{(6.582\cdot10^{-16})^2}[/tex] =[tex] 6.48[/tex] is this value correct

i have substituted m in [kg] and [tex] \hbar[/tex] in eVs

why do you mention about Ångström? Do i need to use this unit in any of these calculations?

You converted all the units to SI units except for energy. Why did you leave it as eV? Also what are the units of your [tex]k_1[/tex] in that problem.

the unit for k should be [tex] \frac{1}{m}[/tex]can i express energy in J instead and do the same thing with [tex] \hbar[/tex] and express it in Js?

If you want to solve it in SI units then you need to keep everything in SI units. So yes, convert eV to J, and make sure [tex]\hbar[/tex] is in SI units.

in that case i get very big number...
[tex] \sqrt{\frac{2\cdot9.1\cdot10^{-31}\cdot1.602\codot10^{-18}}{(1.054\cdot10^{-34})^2}[/tex]= [tex]\sqrt{\frac{2.91564\cdot10^{-48}}{1.110916\cdot10^{-68}}[/tex] =[tex]\sqrt{2.624\cdot10^{20}}[/tex] = [tex]1.62\cdot10^{10}[/tex]

which is extraordinary big...dont you think?

It seems very reasonable. Remember that the wavelength of the electron is inversely proportional to the k-vector. So that looks like a wavelength on the order of an angstrom. So that is better looking than meters.

okey i am glad to hear that.
do you have any idea how to solve the equation for R to obtain [tex] k_{2}[/tex] (which should be the next step to calculate [tex] V_{0}[/tex])?

[tex]R= \frac{(k_{1}-k_{2})^2}{(k_{1}+k_{2)})^2}[/tex]

[tex]R(k_{1}+k_{2})^2=(k_{1}-k_{2})^2[/tex]

[tex](\sqrt{R}k_{1}+\sqrt{R}k_{2})^2-(k_{1}-k_{2})^2=0[/tex]

[tex]\left(\sqrt{R}k_{1}+\sqrt{R}k_{2}-k_1+k_2\right)\left(\sqrt{R}k_{1}+\sqrt{R}k_{2}+k_1-k_2\right)=0[/tex]

[tex]\left(\sqrt{R}k_{1}+\sqrt{R}k_{2}-k_1+k_2=0\right)\quad\vee\quad\left(\sqrt{R}k_{1}+\sqrt{R}k_{2}+k_1-k_2=0\right)[/tex]

[tex]\left(-k_1(1-\sqrt{R})+k_2(1+\sqrt{R})=0\right)\quad\vee\quad\left(k_1(1+\sqrt{R})-k_2(1-\sqrt{R})=0\right)[/tex]

[tex]\left(k_2(1+\sqrt{R})=k_1(1-\sqrt{R})\right)\quad\vee\quad\left(k_1(1+\sqrt{R})=k_2(1-\sqrt{R})\right)[/tex]

[tex]\left(k_2=k_1\frac{(1-\sqrt{R})}{(1+\sqrt{R})}\right)\quad\vee\quad\left(k_1\frac{(1+\sqrt{R})}{(1-\sqrt{R})}=k_2\right)[/tex]

but then i get 2 values for [tex] k_{2}[/tex]

Last edited:

What is an elektron beam?

An elektron beam is a stream of electrons that is produced by accelerating electrons through an electric field.

What is a potential barrier?

A potential barrier is a region in space where the potential energy of a particle increases. It acts as a barrier that particles must overcome in order to move through it.

How do elektron beams interact with potential barriers?

When an elektron beam encounters a potential barrier, it can either be reflected, transmitted, or absorbed. The probability of each outcome depends on the energy of the elektron beam and the height and width of the potential barrier.

What is the significance of elektron beam strikes in potential barriers?

Studying elektron beam strikes in potential barriers is important for understanding the behavior of particles at the atomic and subatomic level. It also has practical applications in fields such as quantum mechanics, electronics, and materials science.

How are elektron beam strikes in potential barriers studied?

Scientists use various experimental techniques, such as electron microscopy and electron diffraction, to observe and analyze the behavior of elektron beams as they interact with potential barriers. Theoretical models and simulations are also used to predict and explain the results of these experiments.