Is a Year-Long Quantum Chromodynamics Class Worth the Exam Stress?

In summary, the conversation revolves around the topic of teaching a year-long Quantum Chromodynamics class and the effectiveness of giving a comprehensive exam on the first day to ensure students have a strong foundation in physics. Some argue that frequent testing is beneficial for subjects that require memorization, while others believe a more relaxed approach is better. The conversation also delves into the differences between bosons and fermions and the role they play in quantum electrodynamics and quantum chromodynamics.
phys-man 69
If I had to teach a class on a year-long Quantum Chromodynamics I would give an exam about everything they should know in physics on the first day of class worth half of the grade for the rest of the quarter. That way I’d know that these FOOLS would know their STUFF and not be wasting my time!
eb

Physics news on Phys.org
Such a test should be mandatory practice in scientific curricula. I noticed my best teachers were using them. They would fill in missing gaps during about one tenth of the total time they were given to beef up our brains.

I disagree, my highest grade in Uni was in particle physics, for which I got < 20% average on the coursework.

I get the impression other countries (USA, Germany, Japan) are very regimented in their teaching, i.e. lots of pop quizzes and lots of hours; I think in Britain we take a more relaxed approach.

I think a more interesting poll would be "what's your favourite Hadron".

what is this thread about?

anyway, frequent testing seems to work on classes where huge amounts of useless facts must be learned. i found this out in Calc II, where we had a test every week. i suspect something like organic chemistry is similar.

worst average i ever had was in Communications, which was basically a lot of time-domain convolution. averaged 50% and that was the high score in the class.

i don't know squat about chromodynamics, so I'm sure it would be a mistake for me to sign up for the class.

Proton Soup said:
i don't know squat about chromodynamics, so I'm sure it would be a mistake for me to sign up for the class.
A common requirement for QCD is Calc [itex]\aleph_0[/itex] :biggrin:

humanino said:
A common requirement for QCD is Calc [itex]\aleph_0[/itex] :biggrin:

huh? i don't speak your hieroglyphics.

In quantum electrodynamics, we study fields mediated by photons. The particles mediated by these bosons have two types of charge: positive and negative, with the simple relation that like charges repel and unlike charges attract. Quantum chromodynamics deals with the interactions of fields mediated by gluons, but unlike electromagnetic fields, the particles that are pushed/pulled around by gluons have three types of charge, called colors, hence the name chromodynamics.
As for aleph null, the symbol [itex]\aleph_0[/itex], it is the cardinality (size) of the set of natural (counting) numbers. While that set does contain an infinite amount of elements, it is, in a sense, a smaller set than the set of real numbers, which are given by some authors the second letter of the Hebrew alphabet, bet. The separation of these two infinities was first proven by Cantor using his now infamous (and oft abused :smile: ) diagonal argument.
Edit: Bosons came first!

Leptons all the way man!

Quarks ssssssssuuuuuuuuuuuccccccccckkkkkk!

Let's go leptons! Who needs the strong interaction?! Not you!

(I feel like I should be tailgating...outside a particle accelerator?:confused:)

slider142 said:
As for aleph null, the symbol [itex]\aleph_0[/itex], it is the cardinality (size) of the set of natural (counting) numbers. While that set does contain an infinite amount of elements, it is, in a sense, a smaller set than the set of real numbers, which are given by some authors the second letter of the Hebrew alphabet, bet. The separation of these two infinities was first proven by Cantor using his now infamous (and oft abused :smile: ) diagonal argument.

ah, ok, i read a biography on him once. another mathematician that went nuts and thought his proofs came to him via divine intervention.

G01 said:
Let's go leptons! Who needs the strong interaction?! Not you!
The mass-gap can earn you $1M. How about the electroweak sector ? :tongue2:

edit
If you tell me that the Higgs or alternative scenarios can earn you fame and eternal glory, I must say this is speculative, in contrast with strong hard evidences for cash :rolleyes:

I like bosons better because I can put them all in one place, and they won't throw a hissy fit and start trying to occupy different quantum states.

On a sidenote, I wonder what would happen if you could get a ton of bosons in one place, and then spontaneously turn them into fermions. I once asked my nuclear physics professor this question, and he wasn't quite sure.

arunma said:
On a sidenote, I wonder what would happen if you could get a ton of bosons in one place, and then spontaneously turn them into fermions. I once asked my nuclear physics professor this question, and he wasn't quite sure.

You'll get a nobel prize

quarks ftw!

1. What is Quantum Chromodynamics (QCD)?

Quantum Chromodynamics is the theory of the strong nuclear force, which governs the interactions between quarks and gluons, the fundamental particles that make up protons, neutrons, and other hadrons.

2. How does QCD explain the behavior of quarks and gluons?

QCD describes the strong force as a field of gluons that mediate interactions between quarks. This force is responsible for holding quarks together to form particles such as protons and neutrons.

3. What are the key principles of QCD?

QCD is based on the principles of quantum mechanics and special relativity. It also incorporates the concept of color charge, which is a property of quarks and gluons that determines how they interact with each other.

4. How is QCD different from other quantum field theories?

Unlike other quantum field theories, QCD involves the strong force, which is much stronger than the other fundamental forces and requires a different mathematical description. It also has the property of asymptotic freedom, meaning that the strong force weakens at shorter distances.

5. What are the applications of QCD?

QCD has many important applications in particle physics, nuclear physics, and cosmology. It is crucial for understanding the structure of matter, the behavior of nuclear matter, and the evolution of the early universe. It also has practical applications in the development of technologies such as particle accelerators and nuclear energy.