Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quantum entanglement and Bose-Einstein condensation.

1. Apr 19, 2012 #1
    Good afternoon. I am wondering if quantum entanglement could be created between two thermodynamically isolated Bose-Einstein condensates of the same atom produced at the same time in close proximity. Due to the similarity of the systems' mathematics regarding their quantum states (wave function), could they become entangled? Could you trigger entanglement in this situation?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 20, 2012 #2
    That's a good question, and I don't know.

If the two systems are completely isolated from one another then by definition there is no interaction. On the other hand systems with the same resonant frequency show a remarkable tendency to entrain. This began with Huygens and his clocks. So if there were a certain minimal interaction you might very well get synchronization of the wave functions. You could try separating them with a very thin (one atom thick) sheet of gold.

4. Apr 25, 2012 #3
    Despite the sameness of the mathematical structure even after some real-dynamics of the two isolated condensates, I would say they are still not entangled because the state of the composite system is still separable into two subsystems of BEC.

I think entanglement is possibly induced by coupling.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook