Quantum mechanics - Find S_x and S_y

In summary, the conversation discusses using the equation ##\hat S_{\pm} = \hat S_x \pm i\hat S_y## to solve for ##\hat S_x## and ##\hat S_y## and where the ##\frac 1 2## term comes from in the algebra. The speaker suggests doing the algebra oneself to understand it better, and then using matrices to find the final representation of the operators.
Graham87
Homework Statement
Lecture slide (see photo)
Relevant Equations
See second last row on picture
I have a lecture slide that shows how to find S_x and S_y. I get all the steps except the last row.
Where did 1/2 come from? I think my linear algebra needs polishing.

Thanks!

3B929476-C8AE-400E-8B4E-053387D6B2CF.jpeg

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you tried to use ##\hat S_{\pm} = \hat S_x \pm i\hat S_y## to solve for ##\hat S_x## and ##\hat S_y##?

I suggest that if you do the algebra yourself, you'll see where the ##\frac 1 2## arises.

Likes vanhees71 and malawi_glenn
PeroK said:
Have you tried to use ##\hat S_{\pm} = \hat S_x \pm i\hat S_y## to solve for ##\hat S_x## and ##\hat S_y##?

I suggest that if you do the algebra yourself, you'll see where the ##\frac 1 2## arises.
Thanks. I have, and I get something like this:
I think what confuses me is the algebra.
7AD68287-B620-4D29-8B18-915F7F5FDFE4.jpeg

$$S_+ + S_- = (S_x + iS_y) + (S_x - iS_y) = ?$$

Likes vanhees71, Graham87 and malawi_glenn
It is basically just a system of equations
##A = x + \mathrm{i}y##
##B = x -\mathrm{i}y##
solve for ##x## and ##y## in terms of ##A## and ##B##

Likes Graham87
Aha thanks alot! Got it!

Likes vanhees71 and malawi_glenn
and then when you are done with that, insert the matrices, and find the final matrix representation of those operators.

Likes vanhees71 and Graham87

1. What is the significance of finding S_x and S_y in quantum mechanics?

Finding S_x and S_y, which represent the spin of a quantum particle in the x and y directions respectively, allows us to understand the orientation and behavior of the particle in a magnetic field. This is crucial in many quantum experiments and technologies.

2. How do you calculate S_x and S_y in quantum mechanics?

S_x and S_y can be calculated using the fundamental equation of quantum mechanics, which involves the wave function of the particle and the operators for spin in the x and y directions. This calculation is based on the principles of linear algebra and can be complex for more than one particle.

3. Can S_x and S_y have any value in quantum mechanics?

No, S_x and S_y can only have discrete values, which are determined by the spin quantum number of the particle. This is a fundamental property of quantum mechanics and is known as quantization.

4. How does measuring S_x and S_y affect the quantum state of a particle?

Measuring S_x and S_y causes the quantum state of the particle to collapse into one of the possible eigenstates of the operators. This means that the particle's spin in the x and y directions becomes definite and the uncertainty in its spin decreases.

5. What are some real-world applications of S_x and S_y in quantum mechanics?

S_x and S_y have important applications in fields such as quantum computing, quantum cryptography, and quantum sensing. They are also used in experiments to study the fundamental properties of matter and to develop new technologies based on quantum mechanics.