Quantum Mechanics - Finite Square Well - Graphical Solution

In summary, the problem involves finding the conditions for which no solution is possible using a graphical method. The values given are U=54.7eV and L=0.2nm. By solving the equation using traditional methods, it is found that no solutions are possible when kL is equal to zero or a multiple of π. To solve it graphically, the two sides of the equation are plotted as functions of kL and the solutions are where the curves intersect.
amr55533

Homework Statement

http://img842.imageshack.us/img842/4917/physp6.jpg

I am trying to solve the above problem. However, I am supposed to solve it with the following values:

U=54.7eV
L=0.2nm

Particle is an electron, so:

m=9.109E-13kg=0.511eV/c^2

Essentially I am supposed to find the conditions for which no solution is possible using a graphical method. This is where I am stuck. The book that I have does not discuss the graphical method, so I am not sure where to begin with it or where the values come into play. I have solved it using a traditional method seen below:

Homework Equations

Schrodinger Equation

The Attempt at a Solution

http://img834.imageshack.us/img834/2686/physw6.png

As can be seen above:

k=√[(2mE)/h^2]
α=√[(2m(U-E))/h^2]

kLcsc(kL)=√[(2mUL^2)/h^2]

since kLcsc(kL)=kL/sin(kL) can never be smaller than one, (2mUL^2)/h^2 < 1

Also, since sin(kL) is in the denominator, no solutions would be possible when kL is equal to zero or a multiple of π.

To do it graphically, would I simply draw a graph of kLcsc(kL) and show where it is undefined? I am confused. Also where would the values I was given come into play?

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I didn't check your work completely, but it looked okay. You can rewrite that last expression as
$$\sin kL = c(kL)$$ where ##c=\sqrt{\frac{\hbar^2}{2mL^2U}}##. Plot the two sides as functions of kL. Solutions are where the two curves intersect.

Thanks! I plugged the values in for "c" and ended up with the functions sin(kL) and 0.132(kL). I plotted both functions and found that they intersected at kL=0 and kL~0.8rad.

1. What is a finite square well in quantum mechanics?

A finite square well is a potential energy barrier that is finite in size, meaning it has a certain height and width. It is commonly used to model the behavior of particles in a confined space, such as an electron in an atom.

2. How is a finite square well solved graphically in quantum mechanics?

A finite square well can be solved graphically by plotting the allowed energy levels of the particle in the well as a function of its position. This graph shows the quantized energy states and the potential energy barrier of the well, allowing for a visual representation of the solutions.

3. What are the implications of a particle being confined in a finite square well?

The confinement of a particle in a finite square well leads to the quantization of its energy levels. This means that the particle can only have certain discrete energy values, rather than a continuous range of energies. It also affects the probability of finding the particle at different positions within the well.

4. How does the width and height of a finite square well affect its energy levels?

The width and height of a finite square well directly impact the energy levels of the particle confined within it. A wider and deeper well will have more energy levels, while a narrow and shallow well will have fewer energy levels. This is because the potential energy barrier of the well determines the allowed energies of the particle.

5. Can the solutions for a finite square well be applied to other systems in quantum mechanics?

Yes, the graphical solution for a finite square well can be applied to other systems in quantum mechanics that have a similar potential energy barrier. This includes systems such as the infinite square well, harmonic oscillator, and hydrogen atom. However, the specific energy levels and wavefunctions will differ depending on the potential energy barrier of the system.