1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quantum Mechanics - Finite Square Well - Graphical Solution

1. Apr 10, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

http://img842.imageshack.us/img842/4917/physp6.jpg [Broken]

I am trying to solve the above problem. However, I am supposed to solve it with the following values:

U=54.7eV
    L=0.2nm

Particle is an electron, so:

m=9.109E-13kg=0.511eV/c^2

Essentially I am supposed to find the conditions for which no solution is possible using a graphical method. This is where I am stuck. The book that I have does not discuss the graphical method, so I am not sure where to begin with it or where the values come in to play. I have solved it using a traditional method seen below:

2. Relevant equations

Schrodinger Equation

3. The attempt at a solution

http://img834.imageshack.us/img834/2686/physw6.png [Broken]

As can be seen above:

k=√[(2mE)/h^2]
    α=√[(2m(U-E))/h^2]

kLcsc(kL)=√[(2mUL^2)/h^2]

since kLcsc(kL)=kL/sin(kL) can never be smaller than one, (2mUL^2)/h^2 < 1

Also, since sin(kL) is in the denominator, no solutions would be possible when kL is equal to zero or a multiple of π.

To do it graphically, would I simply draw a graph of kLcsc(kL) and show where it is undefined? I am confused. Also where would the values I was given come into play?

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 10, 2013 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

I didn't check your work completely, but it looked okay. You can rewrite that last expression as
    $$\sin kL = c(kL)$$ where ##c=\sqrt{\frac{\hbar^2}{2mL^2U}}##. Plot the two sides as functions of kL. Solutions are where the two curves intersect.

4. Apr 11, 2013 #3
    Thanks! I plugged the values in for "c" and ended up with the functions sin(kL) and 0.132(kL). I plotted both functions and found that they intersected at kL=0 and kL~0.8rad.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted