Quantum Mechanics: Finding Wavefunction

In summary, the wave function of a quantum mechanical system described by a Hamiltonian can be written as a linear combination of linear combination of eigenfunctions with eigenvalues. The system is prepared in the state Ψ0=4/5 Φ1+3/5 Φ2 and then allowed to evolve with time. The wave function at time T=1/2 {h/(E1-E2)} will be (accurate within a phase) a 4/5 Φ1 + 3/5 Φ2.
CuriosLearner

Homework Statement

The wave function Ψ of a quantum mechanical system described by a Hamiltonian H ̂ can be written as a linear combination of linear combination of Φ1 and Φ2 which are eigenfunctions of H ̂ with eigenvalues E1 and E2 respectively. At t=0, the system is prepared in the state Ψ0=4/5 Φ1+3/5 Φ2 and then allowed to evolve with time. The wave function at time T=1/2 {h/(E1-E2)} will be (accurate within a phase)
a) 4/5 Φ1 + 3/5 Φ2
b) Φ1
c) 4/5 Φ1 - 3/5 Φ2
d) Φ2
e) 3/5 Φ1 + 4/5 Φ2
f) 3/5 Φ1 - 4/5 Φ2

Homework Equations

Ψ(x,t) = [itex]\sum[/itex]Cn Φn(x) exp(-i En 2π t/h)

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried evaluate the Ψ for given value of time but couldn't get any relationship between E1 and E2 to simplify it further. I don't know if this approach is right.

Physics news on Phys.org
Show your work.

Ψ(x,T) = 4/5 Φ1 exp{-i π E1/(E1-E2)} + 3/5 Φ2 exp{-i π E2/(E1-E2)}
= 4/5 Φ1 exp{-i π (1+ E2/(E1-E2))} + 3/5 Φ2 exp{-i π E2/(E1-E2)}
= exp{-i π E2/(E1-E2)}[4/5 Φ1 exp{-i π} + 3/5 Φ2]
= exp{-i π E2/(E1-E2)}[-4/5 Φ1 + 3/5 Φ2]
I am stuck here.

CuriosLearner said:
Ψ(x,T) = 4/5 Φ1 exp{-i π E1/(E1-E2)} + 3/5 Φ2 exp{-i π E2/(E1-E2)}
= 4/5 Φ1 exp{-i π (1+ E2/(E1-E2))} + 3/5 Φ2 exp{-i π E2/(E1-E2)}
= exp{-i π E2/(E1-E2)}[4/5 Φ1 exp{-i π} + 3/5 Φ2]
= exp{-i π E2/(E1-E2)}[-4/5 Φ1 + 3/5 Φ2]
I am stuck here.

exp{-i π E2/(E1-E2)} is a constant phase factor, so "accurate within a phase" your wavefunction is just the stuff in square brackets.

gabbagabbahey said:
exp{-i π E2/(E1-E2)} is a constant phase factor, so "accurate within a phase" your wavefunction is just the stuff in square brackets.

Does this really solve the problem? I mean we can add a π further to the overall phase (can we?) and it will be the option C that is listed there. Is this correct?
Also I was wondering if E1<E2 always. Because in that case the time T mentioned would be negative. What would it imply?

CuriosLearner said:
Does this really solve the problem? I mean we can add a π further to the overall phase (can we?) and it will be the option C that is listed there. Is this correct?

I'm not sure what you mean here by "add a π further to the overall phase". Do you understand what a phase factor is in this context? Do you understand why we can safely ignore a constant phase factor?

Also I was wondering if E1<E2 always. Because in that case the time T mentioned would be negative. What would it imply?

Negative time is nothing special, you only measure differences in time. That said, it is probably safe to assume that E1<E2 for this problem. You should also realize that both E1 &E2 are real-valued constants (why?) and thus exp{-i π E2/(E1-E2)} is just some complex-valued constant.

gabbagabbahey said:
I'm not sure what you mean here by "add a π further to the overall phase". Do you understand what a phase factor is in this context? Do you understand why we can safely ignore a constant phase factor?
I think that is because any constant phase factor gets canceled out when you write the Schrodinger's equation. So ψ is only accurate within a constant complex phase. I actually meant 'iπ' to be added to that constant phase so as to make it equal to option C there. Also physical significance of the phase should be same as that of phase in any wave equation.

gabbagabbahey said:
Negative time is nothing special, you only measure differences in time. That said, it is probably safe to assume that E1<E2 for this problem. You should also realize that both E1 &E2 are real-valued constants (why?) and thus exp{-i π E2/(E1-E2)} is just some complex-valued constant.
Yes E1 and E2 are real because they are eigenvalues Hamiltonian which is Hermitian. But I would like to know when E1>E2 particularly. Also regarding negative time, doesn't it mean that we are finding the wavefunction before t=0? i.e. before the system was prepared in such state?
Kindly excuse my lack of knowledge and understanding. I am only a beginner in quantum mechanics. Thanks a lot for your help.

1. What is a wavefunction in quantum mechanics?

A wavefunction in quantum mechanics is a mathematical function that describes the quantum state of a system. It contains information about the position, momentum, and other physical properties of the particles in the system.

2. How is the wavefunction used in quantum mechanics?

The wavefunction is used in quantum mechanics to determine the probability of finding a particle in a particular state. It is also used to calculate the expected values of physical properties such as position and momentum.

3. What is the significance of finding the wavefunction in quantum mechanics?

Finding the wavefunction allows us to understand and predict the behavior of particles in the quantum world. It provides insight into the probability of a particle being in a certain state and allows us to make predictions about the outcome of experiments.

4. How is the wavefunction determined in quantum mechanics?

The wavefunction is determined by solving the Schrödinger equation, a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics. This equation takes into account the energy of the system and other physical properties to calculate the wavefunction.

5. Can the wavefunction be observed or measured in quantum mechanics?

No, the wavefunction itself cannot be observed or measured. It is a mathematical construct that represents the quantum state of a system. However, the effects of the wavefunction can be observed and measured through experiments and observations of particles.