Quantum Mechanics pure/unpure states

So in summary, the problem is asking for an example of a state operator that depends on a continuous parameter, which can be represented in infinitely many ways through the manipulation of phase factors. This can be demonstrated by constructing an example using the original density matrix of the problem and manipulating the phase of one of the terms in the vectors.
kreil
Insights Author
Gold Member

Homework Statement

It is shown in the following two equations that any nonpure state operator can be decomposed into a mixture of pure states in at least two ways. Show, by constructing an example depending on a continuous parameter, that this can be done in infinitely many ways.

Homework Equations

[tex] \rho_a = a |u><u| + (1-a)|v><v| [/tex]..(1)

If we now define the two vectors,
[tex] |x> = \sqrt{a} |u> + \sqrt{1-a}|v> [/tex]
[tex] |y> = \sqrt{a} |u> - \sqrt{1-a}|v> [/tex]

Then rho can also be written

[tex]\rho_a = \frac{1}{2} |x><x| + \frac{1}{2} |y><y| [/tex]..(2)

The Attempt at a Solution

Can someone give me an example of a state operator that depends on a continuous parameter? Is it as simple as [itex] \hat w |w> = w |w> [/itex], or are they looking for something like [itex] \hat w |w> = e^{i \theta} |w>[/itex]? Also any hints would be appreciated. I'm sure the problem is simple I'm just having a hard time getting started.

Thank you for your time.

Physics news on Phys.org
Let [tex]\bf{n}[/tex] be a unit vector in 3d. In 2-dimensional space let [tex]|\bf{n}>[/tex] be the eigenvector of [tex]\sigma ({\bf n})=n_x\sigma_x+n_y\sigma_y+n_z\sigma_z[/tex] to the eigenvalue +1. Now [tex]|{\bf n}>[/tex] depends on two continuous parameters defining a direction in [tex]{\bf R}^3[/tex].
That is more than you need. But, in fact, once you master this fact, you will be able to use it for solving your problem.

arkajad said:
Let [tex]\bf{n}[/tex] be a unit vector in 3d. In 2-dimensional space let [tex]|\bf{n}>[/tex] be the eigenvector of [tex]\sigma ({\bf n})=n_x\sigma_x+n_y\sigma_y+n_z\sigma_z[/tex] to the eigenvalue +1. Now [tex]|{\bf n}>[/tex] depends on two continuous parameters defining a direction in [tex]{\bf R}^3[/tex].

This makes sense to me; I'm just not sure how to implement it in relation to the problem. Am I looking to define an infinitely large set of vectors?

After reading again the formulation of your problem, I think I misunderstood it. Perhaps the point is to construct not any example but to construct an example using the original density matrix of the problem. Then my previous comment was irrelevant.

What will be the result if you manipulate the phase of one of the terms:

[tex]|x>_\theta = \sqrt{a}|u>+e^{i\theta}\sqrt{1-a}|v>[/tex]

[tex]|y>_\theta = ...[/tex]

Clearly that leaves the outer product unchanged..do you think it is sufficient to say that since theta can vary that constitutes an infinite set of pure states?

It should be sufficient provided you understand clearly why

[tex]|x>_\theta = e^{i\theta}\sqrt{a}|u>+e^{i\theta}\sqrt{1-a}|v>[/tex]

though also good, would not be a solution of your problem.
[tex]

I believe it is because "global" phase factors represent the same state (i.e. Multiplying a state by a constant doesn't change the state, but only doing so to one term does)

Indeed, and that was the point.

1. What is the difference between pure and unpure states in Quantum Mechanics?

Pure states in Quantum Mechanics represent a system that is in a well-defined and definite state, meaning it has a single set of properties. Unpure states, on the other hand, represent a system that is in a mixture of states, and its properties are not well-defined.

2. How are pure and unpure states described in Quantum Mechanics?

Pure states are described using wavefunctions, which contain all the information about the system. Unpure states are described using density matrices, which contain information about the probabilities of different states being present in the system.

3. Can a pure state become an unpure state in Quantum Mechanics?

Yes, a pure state can become an unpure state through a process known as decoherence. This occurs when a system interacts with its environment, causing the wavefunction to collapse and become a mixture of states.

4. How are pure and unpure states used in Quantum Computing?

In Quantum Computing, pure states are used as the basis for qubits, the fundamental unit of quantum information. Unpure states are used to describe the interactions between qubits and their environment, and are essential for understanding and controlling quantum systems.

5. What are the practical applications of pure and unpure states in Quantum Mechanics?

Pure and unpure states have many practical applications in Quantum Mechanics, including quantum computing, cryptography, and quantum simulations. They are also used in various technologies, such as superconductors and lasers, that rely on quantum effects for their operation.