1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quantum Mechanics Question

1. Apr 18, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I'm supposed to show that whatever superposition of harmonic oscillator states is used to construct wavepacket of the form [tex]\sum[/tex] cv[tex]\Psi[/tex] (x,t) (cv are arbitary complex coefficients), it is at the same place at the times 0, T, 2T,.. where T = 2 [tex]\pi[/tex]/[tex]\omega[/tex]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I was thinking of using the position operator on the function and subbing t = 2n [tex]\pi[/tex]/[tex]\omega[/tex] as the time but i dont really know where to start
    PHP:

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 18, 2008 #2

nrqed

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

WHat is the time dependence of each term in your sum? Consider shifting the time t by [tex] 2 \pi / \omega [/tex] and see what happens.

4. Apr 19, 2008 #3
    There was no other information given. What do you mean by shifting the time??

5. Apr 19, 2008 #4

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It has been a while for me, but I believe nrged is saying to apply the time-evolution operator,

e^(iHt)
    or maybe it was
    e^(-iHt)

Have the covered this concept in your class?

6. Apr 19, 2008 #5

nrqed

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

First things first. What is the time dependence of the total wavefunction? Psi is a linear combination of the eigenstates of the Hamiltonian, right? What is the time dependence of each eigenstate? What i sthe time dependence of the total wavefunction? Can you writ edown the total wavefunction, showing explicitly its time dependence?

Then you should simply replace t by t+2 pi/omega in you expression and you should see that the total wavefunction remains unchanged. That's what I meant by "shifting the time".

7. Apr 19, 2008 #6

nrqed

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Well, it could be done this way, yes. But I had something simpler in mind...see my previous post.

8. Apr 19, 2008 #7

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Okay. I didn't see the necessary e^iwt factors explicitly in the original description, but perhaps they are in Shomy's textbook or class notes description of the H.O. wavefunctions.

9. Apr 19, 2008 #8

nrqed

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That's what I wanted him/her to realize: that there are factors [tex] e^{-iE_n t/\hbar} [/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?