Quantum Physics Books: Learn Heisenberg, Dirac, Pauli & More

In summary, some good books for learning quantum mechanics with a focus on the Heisenberg uncertainty principle, Dirac notation, Pauli matrices, and quantum operators include "University Physics" by Sears and Young, "Calculus" by James Stewart, "A Modern Approach to Quantum Mechanics" by Townsend, and the two-volume book by A. Galindo & P. Pascual. The "spin first" approach, popularized by J.J. Sakurai, is also recommended for its ease of understanding. Other suggested books include "Quantum Mechanics - Symbolism for atomistic measurements" by J. J. Schwinger and "Linear Algebra" by vanhees71. It is also recommended to have a good understanding of linear algebra before
kent davidge
I'm really interested in quantum theory and would like to learn all that I can about it. I'm looking books for learning quantum physics that contains derivation of Heisenberg uncertainty principle, dirac notation, pauli matrices, quantum operators, hawking radiation, etc. What are good books to QM along these lines?

Likes Tosh5457
Physics news on Phys.org
What's your current math and physics knowledge? Be detailed.

Likes kent davidge
Well, essentially all I know about physics I learned from "University Physics by Sears, Young", ie I know the basic of all topics on physics.

On math I learned Calculus 1,2,3,4 by reading "Calculus by James Stewart" and I have some knowledge about basic linear algebra.

Then Zettili, Shankar, Bransden&Joachain or Griffiths wrote textbooks on QM which could suit your level.

Last edited:
Likes kent davidge
Also, "A Modern Approach to Quantum Mechanics" by Townsend.

Likes kent davidge
George Jones said:
Also, "A Modern Approach to Quantum Mechanics" by Townsend.
This is a good book. The same spins-first approach is used by the following book that I love

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0321765796/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Definitely read up on some liner algebra first. I think spin-first approach is a much easier way to learn QM.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes kent davidge, vanhees71 and dextercioby
smodak said:
I think spin-first approach is a much easier way to learn QM.
I was curious why that would be? Is it because one starts with finite dimensional state spaces, thereby avoiding functional analytic complications at first?

Likes kent davidge
The vast majority of textbooks avoid the functional analytical complications altogether, therefore it won't matter how the material is presented. The "spin first" approach was made famous by the late professor J.J. Sakurai in his wonderful book and thus served as inspiration for other book writers.
Mathematical textbooks on Quantum Mechanics are really very few, I could only mention https://www.amazon.com/dp/981024651X/?tag=pfamazon01-20 and the two-volume book by A. Galindo & P. Pascual https://www.amazon.com/dp/3642838561/?tag=pfamazon01-20 and https://www.amazon.com/dp/3642841317/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes kent davidge, vanhees71, smodak and 1 other person
In fact, this "spin first" approach was invented by Schwinger in his QM lectures. There's a marvelous book based on them:

J. J. Schwinger, Quantum Mechanics - Symbolism for atomistic measurements, Springer

However, it's not following the typical way. So I rather recommend the mentioned book by Sakurai to start with. Nevertheless, the very first chapter of Schwinger's book is just a must-read for anybody interested in the foundations of quantum mechanics!

Likes kent davidge

What is quantum physics?

Quantum physics is the branch of physics that studies the behavior of matter and energy at a very small scale, such as atoms and subatomic particles. It explains the fundamental principles that govern the behavior of these particles and their interactions with each other.

Who are some of the key figures in quantum physics?

Some of the key figures in quantum physics include Werner Heisenberg, Paul Dirac, and Wolfgang Pauli. These scientists made significant contributions to the development of quantum mechanics and our understanding of the quantum world.

What topics are typically covered in a quantum physics book?

A quantum physics book may cover topics such as the principles of quantum mechanics, wave-particle duality, quantum entanglement, and the uncertainty principle. It may also delve into the history of quantum physics and its applications in various fields such as chemistry, biology, and technology.

Is quantum physics difficult to understand?

Quantum physics can be a challenging subject to grasp, as it involves abstract concepts and mathematical equations. However, with patience and dedication, anyone can gain a basic understanding of the principles of quantum mechanics.

Are there any practical applications of quantum physics?

Yes, there are many practical applications of quantum physics, including quantum computing, quantum cryptography, and quantum sensors. These technologies have the potential to revolutionize various industries and fields in the future.