1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quantum statistics expectation value

1. Sep 4, 2011 #1
    1. What is the expectation value, <x>, for the
    given distribution over the interval from – to + infinity of the function: f(x)=e^(-.5(x-mu)^2(sigma^-2))

2. This is a statistics problem i think. I just need to know how this type of problem is worked out because it is relevant to my quantum class.

3. I have absolutely no idea where to begin.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 4, 2011 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

The expectation value of a function of a random variable X is given by
    [tex]E[g(X)] = \int_{-\infty}^\infty g(x) f(x)\,dx[/tex]
    Do you know how to integrate a Gaussian?

4. Sep 5, 2011 #3
    Not exactly. My professor ran very very quickly through the gaussian integral once before but I don't quite have the math background to have taken it in (in multivariable calculus currently).

5. Sep 5, 2011 #4

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

6. Sep 5, 2011 #5
    Okay so the Gaussian integral is just the integral from -to+infinity of e^(-x^2). I see what they did through to get the answer. Where does the Gaussian fit into that other integral you listed?
    Thanks for the help. I was pretty clueless when this was presented in class because I haven't seen this math before so I apologize for how slow I am.

7. Sep 5, 2011 #6

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Tell us what integral you need to calculate to find <x>.

8. Sep 5, 2011 #7
    So do I just take this
    [tex]E[g(X)] = \int_{-\infty}^\infty g(x) f(x)\,dx[/tex]
    and use the function, [tex] f(x) = e^{(-(x-μ)^2/2σ^2)} [/tex] as f(x) and would g(x) be the Gaussian function? Not really sure what g(x) is unless that guess is correct.

9. Sep 5, 2011 #8

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

g(X) is what you're finding the expectation value of. In this case, g(X)=X.

10. Sep 5, 2011 #9
    Oh! That makes a lot more sense.
    [tex]E[x] = \int_{-\infty}^\infty xe^{(-(x-μ)^2/2σ^2)}\,dx[/tex]
    is the integral I'm left with. I see it's similar to the an example on the gaussian integral wiki page where [tex]\int_{-\infty}^\infty x^{2n}e^{-ax^2}\,dx[/tex]
    So I figured I'd go off and see if I could solve it with just some sort of u substitution but the closest I can bring the integral i have to that is [tex]e^{-μ^2}\int_{-\infty}^\infty xe^{-x^2/2σ^2}e^{xμ/σ^2}\,dx[/tex] So I doubt it's that easy and probably requires some sort of harder method. How should I go about this?

11. Sep 5, 2011 #10

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Try the substitution u = x-mu.

12. Sep 5, 2011 #11
    okay so to double check so far:
    [tex]E[x] = \int_{-\infty}^\infty xe^{(-(x-μ)^2/2σ^2)}\,dx[/tex]
    [tex]u=x-μ[/tex][tex]du=dx [/tex]
    [tex]E[x] = \int_{-\infty}^\infty ue^{(-u^2/2σ^2)}\,du + μ\int_{-\infty}^\infty e^{(-u^2/2σ^2)}\,du [/tex]
    These look like 2 of the examples on wikipedia but if I just solve them I get something like
    [tex]σ^5(2π)^{1/2} + μσ(2)^{1/2}(-1/2)![/tex]
    is that right? a concern i have is that I never had to substitute x-μ=u back in

13. Sep 5, 2011 #12

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

You should find the first integral is 0. You can integrate it using a substitution or simply note that the integrand is an odd function.

What's (-1/2)! equal to?

14. Sep 5, 2011 #13
    Okay I see that. I don't understand the gamma function but I take it from wikipedia that (-1/2)! is equal to Γ(1/2)
    So I guess it comes down to Γ(1/2)μσ(2)^(1/2) which is
    [tex]μσ(2)^{1/2}\int_{0}^\infty t^{-1/2}e^{-t}\,dt[/tex]
    I also don't know where to go about this integral, by parts I get left with something minus the gamma function of -.5 which doesn't seem to go anywhere.

15. Sep 5, 2011 #14

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Look at the very first integral on that Wiki page I linked to earlier.

16. Sep 6, 2011 #15
    Thanks for the help! I finished and got through it in time for class. Doubled checked with a peer.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook