Quasiparticle Confusion

• Thread starter Eli137
  • Start date
I am confused as to what a quasi particle is. I know that it only occurs when a microscopic system acts in an unorthodox way, but are they truly a particle? Are they fundamental? Have they been proven? If the answer to all of these questions is yes, why are they excluded from the standard model?

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
You are confused. A quasi-particle is a description of the collective motion of many particles. This description has some features of particle motion. One simple example is the "hole". You can treat a crystal with N positions, N-1 of them filled as either an N-1 particle system, or a complete N particle crystal and a single hole. The second description is usually computationally simpler.

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
2018 Award
I am confused as to what a quasi particle is. I know that it only occurs when a microscopic system acts in an unorthodox way, but are they truly a particle? Are they fundamental? Have they been proven? If the answer to all of these questions is yes, why are they excluded from the standard model?
Try reading this, for example:

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/quasiparticles-of-quantum-mechanics.80512/#post-619236

You should have posted this in the solid state physics forum. Quasiparticles of various forms are a common occurrences in this field. And yes, they have been thoroughly verified!

Zz.