1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Queries regarding Inflection Points in Curve Sketching

1. Nov 15, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let A be a set of critical points of the function f(x).
    Let B be a set of roots of the equation f''(x)=0.
    Let C be a set of points where f''(x) does not exist.
    It follows that B∪C=D is a set of potential inflection points of f(x).

Q 1: Can there exist any inflection points of f(x) outside the set D?
    Q 2: If c is a point such that c∈D and c∉A, is it necessarily an inflection point?

2. Relevant equations, theorems, and definitions

- Critical points are defined as those points inside the domain of f(x) where f'(x)=0 or f'(x) does not exist.

- Points of inflection are defined as the points in the domain of f(x) where f''(x) changes sign. At these points, the function changes concavity.

- If c is a critical point of f(x), then the following are true:
    -- If f''(c) > 0, then the curve is concave up at c.
    -- If f''(c) < 0, then the curve is concave down at c.
    -- If f''(c) = 0 or f''(c) does not exist, then no conclusion can be made about concavity of the curve at c without further information.

3. The attempt at a solution

Q 1: Can there exist any inflection points of f(x) outside the set D?
    Ans: I couldn't find a satisfactory answer or implication for this query in the various calculus texts that I have been referring to. In my experience, such an inflection point is non-existent.

Q 2: If c is a point such that c∈D and c∉A, is it necessarily an inflection point?
    Ans: Obtaining a point anywhere in the solution of a problem is usually suggestive of something significant happening at that point. While solving a curve-sketching problem, the points we obtain are normally classified as a) outside the domain of f(x), b) end points, c) critical points, or d) points of inflection. I don't remember obtaining any point outside this classification. This suggests to me that c is an inflection point.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 15, 2014 #2
    For Q1, by your definition, ##a## being an inflection point requires that ##f''## change sign at ##a##.

In the event that ##f''(a)## exists, there are limitations on what can happen with ##f''## "around" ##a##. In particular, there cannot be a jump or removable discontinuity at ##a##. If ##f''(a)\neq 0## then in every interval containing ##a## there are infinitely many points ##x## with ##f''(x)## close to ##f''(a)##. It would not be possible for ##f''## to change sign at ##a## in this case. The mathematics behind all of this is a bit more advanced than what is presented in a typical intro to calculus, which based on your definition of inflection point, is the situation you're in.

The bottom line is that if ##f''(a)## exists and ##a## is an inflection point (by your definition), then ##f''(a)=0##.

The answer to Q2 is no. A counterexample is
    ##f(x)=x^4+x##

Edit: See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darboux's_theorem_(analysis) for the background behind my reply to Q1. Like I said, it's a bit (not much) more advanced than what is typically presented in an introductory calculus class.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2014
  4. Nov 15, 2014 #3

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

For 2, think about ##f(x) = x^4+x##.

[Edit] Woops. I spoiled Gopher's spoiler. He must type faster...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted