1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Query regarding steady state error in a velocity control system

1. Apr 26, 2008 #1
    Hi

I was reading BC Kuo's Automatic Control Systems where I came across a solved problem (page 369 of 7th edition) regarding velocity control. I have a problem understanding how the steady state error has been computed. The original problem and its solution as given in the book are quoted below.

Let the feed-forward transfer function be

[tex]G(s) = \frac{1}{s^2(s+12)}[/tex]

and the feedback transfer function be

[tex]H(s) = K_{t}s[/tex]

where [itex]K_{t}[/tex] is the tachometer constant.

I am not clear about how the steady state error has been computed here. I understand that the dominating terms as [itex]t\rightarrow \infty[/itex] are the linear term and the constant term, but how does the limit of the (0.1t -y(t)) term represent steady state error? How is the reference signal equal to 0.1t?

Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 26, 2008 #2
  4. Apr 26, 2008 #3
    I haven't been able to figure this out yet, so I would be really grateful if someone could look into it for me and tell me what the mistake in my understanding/interpretation is?

5. Apr 27, 2008 #4
    Got it...thanks to varunag :-)

It should be 10V/rad/sec. The output is the angle measure.

6. Apr 27, 2008 #5
    For the later occurrences, steady state means change of the function goes to zero when t goes to infinity right? That means if I take the derivative of the function it should go to zero since there is a steady state(existence must be checked of course!) then derivative means multiplying with s right?

[tex]\lim_{t\to \infty} f(t)\star u(t) = \lim_{s\to 0}sf(s)u(s)\[/tex]

If the limit exists it will give you the SS error.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?