Quesiton on Newtons Second Law, Need Help.

In summary: Just remember to always account for all the forces when there is acceleration involved. Good luck on your test tomorrow! In summary, we have two blocks of identical material connected by a light rope on a level surface. An applied force of 55N causes the blocks to accelerate. The magnitude of the force of friction on the block system is 44.1N. To calculate the acceleration of the blocks, we use the equation Fnet=Fapplied-Ffriction and find that a=0.36 m/s^2. To find the tension in the rope, we use the equation Fnet=Fapplied-Ffriction-Ftension and find that Ftension=40.3N. However, this is incorrect because we must also consider
yunuscanemre
Two blocks of identical material(Block1 20kg, Block2 10kg) are connected by a light rope on a level surface. An applied force of 55Nright causes the blocks to accelerate. While in motion, the magnitude of the force of friction on the block system is 44.1N.

2. Homework Equations
a)Calculate acceleration of the blocks
b)The force of friction on the 10kg block has a magnitude of 14.7 N, calc the tension in the rope connecting the two blocks.

3. The Attempt at a Solution
I found "a" by using:
Fnet=Fapplied-Ffriction
10.9N=30kg x a
a=0.36 m/s^2

For "b"
55N-14.7N=40.3N

Book says the right answer is 37N. I just want to know how its 37N.

I need to understand solving tension problems, I have a test 2morrow.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi yunuscanemre,

yunuscanemre said:
Two blocks of identical material(Block1 20kg, Block2 10kg) are connected by a light rope on a level surface. An applied force of 55Nright causes the blocks to accelerate. While in motion, the magnitude of the force of friction on the block system is 44.1N.

2. Homework Equations
a)Calculate acceleration of the blocks
b)The force of friction on the 10kg block has a magnitude of 14.7 N, calc the tension in the rope connecting the two blocks.

3. The Attempt at a Solution
I found "a" by using:
Fnet=Fapplied-Ffriction
10.9N=30kg x a
a=0.36 m/s^2

For "b"
55N-14.7N=40.3N

Your answer here would be correct if there were no acceleration, because then you would need all of the forces to cancel. However, there is an acceleration here, and so you need to account for that in your equation. Do you see what to do now?

thanks I get :))))

yunuscanemre said:
thanks I get :))))

Glad to help!

What is Newton's second law of motion?

Newton's second law of motion states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on the object and inversely proportional to its mass.

How is Newton's second law used in everyday life?

Newton's second law is used in many everyday activities, such as driving a car, playing sports, and riding a bike. These actions all involve applying a force to an object to make it move.

What is an example of Newton's second law?

An example of Newton's second law is a person pushing a shopping cart. The person must exert a force on the cart to make it accelerate, and the heavier the cart is, the more force is required.

How does mass affect acceleration according to Newton's second law?

According to Newton's second law, the greater an object's mass, the greater force is needed to accelerate it at the same rate. This means that objects with a larger mass will have a slower acceleration compared to objects with a smaller mass.

What is the equation for Newton's second law?

The equation for Newton's second law is F = ma, where F is the net force applied to an object, m is the mass of the object, and a is the acceleration of the object.