Question 21 - Final question on higher paper

In summary, the conversation is about finding the distance between two points on a plane using the Distance Formula, which is similar to the Pythagorean Theorem. The formula is used to help understand parabolas in Intermediate Algebra. The formula is also used to find the distance from a point to the x-axis. The formula is the typical way of helping new students understand parabolas. The distance from a point (x,y) to (0,2) is the same as the distance from (x,y) to the x-axis. The distance from a point (x,y) to (0,2) can be found by drawing a right triangle and using the Pythagorean Theorem. The formula can also be used in three
thomas49th
img027.jpg

I can't think of a way to "show that y=...". Do I compare to x values?

Thx

Physics news on Phys.org
Given coordinates of two points on the plane, how would you find the distance between them? Write down mathematically what the statement says and solve for y.

Just use the Distance Formula. This is the typical way of helping new students of Intermediate Algebra to understand parabolas. Your textbook probably also shows an example like the question which you asked.

What IS the distance from a point (x,y) to (0, 2)?
What IS the distance from a point (x,y) to the x-axis?

Since the problem tells you that those two distances are the same write down those two formulas and set them equal.

(x,y) - (x,0) = (x,y) -(0,2)

is that right?

Does this ring any bells;

[tex]d = \sqrt{\left(x_1-x_0\right)^2+\left(y_1-y_0\right)^2}[/tex]

thomas49th said:
(x,y) - (x,0) = (x,y) -(0,2)

is that right?
I don't even know what that means!

I know how to subtract numbers.
I even know how to subtract vectors.

How do you subtract points?

LHS

x - x = 0
y - 0 = y

RHS
x - 0 = x
y - 2 = y - 2

SO

y = x + y - 2

x = 2

that right?

thomas49th said:
LHS

x - x = 0
y - 0 = y

RHS
x - 0 = x
y - 2 = y - 2

SO

y = x + y - 2

x = 2

that right?
Nooo!

Take a look at Hootenanny's post.

ive never ever seen that formula in my life, and I think it is beyond GCSE level (that exams you do in UK when your 15 or 16). Is that formula the simplest way?

thomas49th said:
ive never ever seen that formula in my life, and I think it is beyond GCSE level (that exams you do in UK when your 15 or 16). Is that formula the simplest way?
I thought most people would have seen that formula at least a couple of years before they turn 16!

Given any two points (x0,y0) and (x1,y1), the distance between them is given by that formula. It's just the Pythagorean theorem done on the Cartesian plane. In three dimensions, there would also be the (z1-z0)2 within the square root.

thomas49th said:

Is it not just Pythagoras' Theorem in a different guise?

how would cristo go about solving it then?

cristo said:
Is it not just Pythagoras' Theorem in a different guise?
It is. You're right.

is it just me or are the quotes note displaying today?

Rhythmer, if your posts are being deleted it is because you have not read the forum guidelines! Answering questions for people is not the purpose in the homework forums; The idea is to get them to do at least a significant portion of the work on their own, so that they can actually learn to understand the material. :smile:

Guidelines: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=94379

Rhythmer said:
Well, I've already experienced some moderators deleting my posts in this section on which I answer homework questions, but I think I'm allowed to answer this one simply because it's not homework.

As data mentions above, any and all questions which are coursework/homework type questions (regardless of whether the homework is set to be handed in) must be answered in a tutorial type way. That means, waiting for the original poster to show some work before giving help, and providing hints or suggestions as opposed to complete solutions.

how would cristo go about solving it then?
Well, cristo would follow Halls' hint, using Hootenanny's formula for the distance, and then set them equal.

The question show in from an examination paper for GCSE. Thomas49th will have been given past examination papers for practice. The examination will take place in May.

Thomas49th you will not have been shown the distance formula for GCSE but you will have covered pythagoras and should be able to apply it.

HallsOfIvy gave you the correct approach and at GCSE finding distance should make you think of Pythagoras if they cannot be found directly. (or perhaps trigonometry if angles are involved)

What you needed to do was to do some drawing on the diagram.

Draw a line from P perpendicular to the x axis. P has coordinates (x,y) so what is the height of P above the x axis?

Now join P to (0,2). From the point (0,2) draw a line parallel to the y axis. This will form a right angled triangle. You should be able to mark on the lengths of the two sides parallel to the x and y axes. Then use Pythagoras to find the length of the line from P to (0,2).

However looking at your reply to HallsofIvy it seems you do not fully comprehend the nature of coordinates and you will need to do some revision and extra practice to get a proper understanding. You will be back at school next week so I suggest you go and see your teacher.

Last edited:
What did I do wrong when I add/subtracted the co-ordinates? I know you can only add/subtract the x from x and y from y. I had a look here http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/gcsebitesize/maths/shapeih/transformationshrev2.shtml

Can someone point me in the right direction.

Is (x,y) - (x,0) = (x,y) -(0,2) right?

Last edited by a moderator:
thomas49th said:
What did I do wrong when I add/subtracted the co-ordinates? I know you can only add/subtract the x from x and y from y. I had a look here http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/gcsebitesize/maths/shapeih/transformationshrev2.shtml

Can someone point me in the right direction.

Is (x,y) - (x,0) = (x,y) -(0,2) right?

NO ABSOLUTELY NOT. Just as Hallsof Ivy said.
The webpage above is for vector displacement not distance between points.

Lots of people have been pointing you in the right direction including me. Sometimes to follow advice you have to let go of the idea of what you were attempting was right and study the advice.

Last edited by a moderator:
The webpage above is for vector displacement not distance between points.

So how do I find the distance between points?

thomas49th said:

Have you read any of the posts at all? The formula has been stated at least three times in this thread.

thomas49th said:
thomas49th, if you are serious about this, then this suggests that you are either misplaced in your course, or you are studying on your own and beyond your level of achievement. What course are you enrolled in? IF you are enrolled in "Algebra 2" or Intermediate Algebra, then you have been taught the distance formula. In case you are just now in the course being introduced to the distance formula, then study your book very carefully. Again, as reminder, you probably will find an example in your book much like the question which you have here been asking.

thomas49th said:

Follow the instructions in my post #18 and do the drawing.

You do know Pythagoras' Theorem don't you?

symbolipoint said:
thomas49th, if you are serious about this, then this suggests that you are either misplaced in your course, or you are studying on your own and beyond your level of achievement. What course are you enrolled in? IF you are enrolled in "Algebra 2" or Intermediate Algebra, then you have been taught the distance formula. In case you are just now in the course being introduced to the distance formula, then study your book very carefully. Again, as reminder, you probably will find an example in your book much like the question which you have here been asking.

thomas49th is taking what is called General Secondary Certficate Examination (GCSE) in Maths in England. It includes number, algebra, statistics and geometry and is taken at the age of 16. The examination is graded A,B,C,D,E,F, U (unclassified). Students achieving grades A or B will be allowed to go on to a pre-university maths course.

This question is the last on the paper and is meant to differentiate between those who can do formulas in maths and those who understand maths. The distance formula is not part of the course. Those who can apply the maths they have been taught through their knowledge of coordinates and pythagoras get the marks.

thomas49th said:

Okay, let's give this a try:

Suppose you have two points, p = (a, b), and q = (x, y). What's the distance between p and q?

Well, we could try something like what you did in order to define distance: Subtract the components of the two to get a new point (a - x, b - y), and then add the components of the new point and call that the distance, so our distance is d(p, q) = (a - x) + (b - y). But, there's a problem!

What if, say, a = y and x = b, so our two points are really p = (y, x) and q = (x, y). If [itex]x \neq y[/itex], then those two points don't have the same coordinates. However, according to our distance formula, d(p, q) = (y - x) + (x - y) = 0. Does it make sense to have a distance of zero between two different points? No!So that doesn't work. What can we do to fix it? Well, we could try taking the positive version of each of the components of (a - x, b - y); in other words, we could set d(p, q) = |a - x| + |b - y|.

The earlier problem disappears now: as you can check for yourself, d(p, q) is never 0 unless a = x and b = y; in other words, it's not zero unless p = q. Good!

However, there's still a problem!

Suppose I draw a right-angled triangle. Its vertices are p = (0, 0), q = (1, 1), and r = (1, 0).

Now, our distance formula tells us that: d(p, q) = |0 - 1| + |0 - 1| = 1 + 1 = 2, d(p, r) = |0 - 1| + |0 - 0| = 1, and d(r, q) = |1 - 1| + |0 - 1| = 1.

But, now remember the Pythagorean theorem! The Pythagorean theorem says that, if u is the length of the longest side of a right-angled triangle, and t and v are the lengths of the other sides, then

[tex]u^2 = t^2 + v^2.[/tex]

Let's try it on our triangle, using our distance formula: The longest side has length 2, and each of the others have length 1. Does the Pythagorean theorem work out? No: [itex] 4 = 2^2 \neq 1^2 + 1^2 = 2[/itex].

What does this tell us? Well, the longest side of a right triangle with those vertices, according to the two smaller lengths (both 1) and the Pythagorean theorem, is [tex]\sqrt{1^2 + 1^2} = \sqrt{2}[/tex].

So, according to the Pythagorean theorem, there's a line between p and q shorter than the distance between p and q!

That definitely seems off! After all, the distance should represent the length of the shortest path between points, shouldn't it (in technical terms, we want to make the plane into a geodesic metric space - but you definitely don't need to worry about what that means! Edit: whoops! I've mixed up my definitions a bit. This little comment wasn't right anyways, so you should definitely ignore it!)?

So we need to fix our definition for distance again. How can we do that? Well, right now if p = (a, b) and q = (x, y), we set d(p, q) = |a - x| + |b - y|. But what's that really doing? It's taking the vertical distance between the points and just adding it to the horizontal distance between the points.

The problem (illustrated above with the Pythagorean theorem) is that we can put a sloped line between the points that is shorter than our "distance!"

How can we fix that? Well, remember the Pythagorean theorem again. If u is the length of the longest side of a right angled triangle and t and v are the lengths of the shorter sides, then

[tex]u^2 = t^2 + v^2.[/tex]

In other words, the length of the longest side is

[tex]u = \sqrt{t^2 + v^2}.[/tex]

What does this really say, though? Well, take points p = (a, b) and q = (x, y). Well, we can form a right triangle by using a vertex r = (x, b).

If we do that, then the shorter distances [itex]t[/itex] and [itex]v[/itex] in the Pythagorean theorem correspond to the lengths [itex]t = |a - x|[/itex] and [itex]v = |b - y|[/itex]. So, the length of the longest side, which we also want to be the distance between p and q, is

[tex]d(p, q) = u = \sqrt{t^2 + v^2} = \sqrt{|a - x|^2 + |b - y|^2}.[/tex]

This is the general formula for distance between points. In other words, if [itex]p_1 = (x_1, y_1)[/itex] and [itex]p_2 = (x_2, y_2)[/itex] are points on the Cartesian plane, then the distance between them is

[tex]d(p_1, p_2) = \sqrt{(x_1 - x_2)^2 + (y_1 - y_2)^2}[/tex]

(You should figure out for yourself why I was able to drop the | |'s).

At this point, you should definitely be able to figure out your problem :smile:.[Yes, I know that my argument using the Pythagorean theorem is circular, but I'm just trying to give some sort of natural motivation without too much hassle :smile:]

Last edited:
Nicely done, Data. Great post! :approve:

geodesic metric space? :rofl:

The thread was getting a bit tedious! :wink:

1. What is "Question 21 - Final question on higher paper"?

"Question 21 - Final question on higher paper" is a commonly used term in the education system, referring to the last question on a higher level exam paper. This question is usually more challenging and requires a deeper understanding of the subject matter.

2. Is "Question 21 - Final question on higher paper" always the most difficult question on an exam?

Not necessarily. While "Question 21 - Final question on higher paper" may be more challenging than previous questions, it does not always mean it is the most difficult on the entire exam. Difficulty can vary depending on the subject and the individual taking the exam.

3. How should I approach "Question 21 - Final question on higher paper"?

It is important to read and understand the question carefully before attempting to answer it. Break down the question into smaller parts if necessary and use any available resources, such as formulas or diagrams, to help you. It is also important to manage your time effectively and not spend too much time on one question.

4. Can I skip "Question 21 - Final question on higher paper" if I am running out of time?

It is not recommended to skip "Question 21 - Final question on higher paper" unless absolutely necessary. This question is often worth a significant amount of marks and can impact your overall grade. If you are running out of time, try to at least attempt the question and provide some reasoning or equations to show your understanding.

5. How can I prepare for "Question 21 - Final question on higher paper"?

The best way to prepare for "Question 21 - Final question on higher paper" is to consistently practice and review material throughout the year. Make sure you have a strong understanding of the subject matter and familiarize yourself with different question formats. It is also helpful to practice time management and test-taking strategies to ensure you have enough time to complete the final question.