Question About a light beam .

• Thread starter xchaos01
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Beam Light
In summary: The answer is around 3.6 photons per second. That's just for the light that's exiting the laser! Taking into account the light that's being reflected off of the target, and the light that's being transmitted through the target, the total number of photons that are traveling through the beam at any given moment is likely much higher.In summary, a light beam can cover more than 300,000km in 1 second, but it would be fainter because there are fewer photons per unit distance.
xchaos01
Question! "About a light beam..."

The question is can a light beam cover more than 300,000km in 1 sec? (I do realize that there's a reason why "c" is called a constant...)

Or maybe I'm asking the wrong question.. if the light beam could leave marks on the surface it's hitting while the light beam is traveling, if the light beam starts covering more than 300,000km in a second, how would the marks on the surface look?

To better understand the setting I'm talking about, see pic:
[PLAIN]http://img693.imageshack.us/img693/9719/gc0001.jpg
Confused TC is confused:confused:

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

Superluminal velocities are not uncommon, but they're not really meaningful.

The light "spot" only has meaning in our interpretation of it. No photon has moved faster than c.

Here's a simpler scenario:
I can shine a flashlight on the moon's left limb, then flick it super fast to its right limb. The spot of light will cross the moon's face in excess of c. But the spot is only conceptual. The photons that hit the left limb have no relation to the ones that hit the right limb. And they are all only traveling at c.

Another one:
I can fire a machine gun at a target 1/2 mile to the north, then swing it around in a half second till I'm firing it at a target half mile to the south. My "spot" of bullets will have moved from north to south at 30,000fps, even though no bullet is traveling faster than the muzzle velocity of 2,200fps.

how would the marks on the surface look?
Fainter.

Just like the machine would spread its bullets out over the arc, so the laser would spread its photons. Fewer photons per unit distance = fainter light.

Last edited:

Variations on your question come up rather frequently here. In fact, someone posted about it in the General Physics forum just yesterday!

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=425424

The spot on the screen can move faster than c because it isn't a physical object. The individual photons in the beam travel radially outwards at c, in different directions.

Note that there is no way for a person sitting on the screen at one location to use this moving spot to send a message to someone at another location on the screen, without communicating somehow to the person at the center of the arc who is holding the laser.

DaveC426913 said:
I can fire a machine gun at a target 1/2 mile to the north, then swing it around in a half second till I'm firing it at a target half mile to the south. My "spot" of bullets will have moved from north to south at 30,000fps, even though no bullet is traveling faster than the muzzle velocity of 2,200fps.

Yes, this analogy cleared up things for me, however does this mean that a light beam also has a "rate of fire"?

For example could we determine how many photons traveled through space in 1ms? given that we know the girth of the beam?

All you need to know is the power output of the laser, and the wavelength of the light that it emits.

Suppose the power output is one milliwatt. That means it emits 0.001 joule of energy per second. Suppose further that the wavelength [itex]\lambda[/itex] is 600 nm. Now you can calculate the energy per photon using

[tex]E = hf = \frac{hc}{\lambda}[/tex]

and use that to convert "joules per second" to "photons per second."

1. What is a light beam?

A light beam is a concentrated stream of photons, which are particles of light. It can be described as a bundle of energy that travels in a straight line at a constant speed.

2. How does a light beam travel?

A light beam travels through space in a straight line at a constant speed of approximately 299,792,458 meters per second, which is the speed of light. It can also travel through certain materials, such as air, water, and glass.

3. What is the difference between a light beam and a laser beam?

A light beam is a general term for any concentrated stream of light, while a laser beam is a specific type of light beam that is highly focused and has a specific wavelength. Laser beams are often used in scientific and technological applications, while light beams can refer to any type of light, such as sunlight or a flashlight beam.

4. Can a light beam be bent or redirected?

Yes, a light beam can be bent or redirected by passing through different materials that have varying densities. This phenomenon is known as refraction and is what causes objects to appear distorted when viewed through water or a glass lens. Light can also be reflected off of certain surfaces, such as mirrors, which changes its direction.

5. How is a light beam produced?

A light beam can be produced in several ways, such as through natural sources like the sun or fire, or through artificial sources like light bulbs or lasers. In general, a light beam is produced when energy is converted into photons, which then travel in a concentrated stream. The specific method of production depends on the source of the light beam.