Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question about AntiMatter

1. Mar 19, 2015 #1
    Hi guys,
    Well I read about Anti Matter, and i came across the term Anti particle and how a positron is the antiparticle of an electron, so when a particle and an antiparticle meet they're supposed to annihilate each other.
    So in case of a Beta+ decay where a proton is converted into a positron in the nuclei, does the postiron enter in contact with the electrons once it's out of the nuclei?
    I hope it's not too ambiguous and I'm looking forward to an answer.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 19, 2015 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

This is one option that can happen.
    Usually it flies away, loses some energy by "colliding" with electrons and nuclei in the surrounding matter, and only when it lost most of its energy it annihilates with an electron somewhere. Positron emission tomography uses the produced radiation for imaging.

4. Mar 19, 2015 #3

Matternot

Gold Member

I can't think of a valid reason as to why an emitted positron annihilating with a ground state electron isn't physically indistinguishable from electron capture?

5. Mar 20, 2015 #4
    Is the other option elastic scattering?

That's beyond what I know xD

6. Mar 20, 2015 #5

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

It's probably a matter of definition, you could study the photon emission (1 or more? energies?) to split it in categories.

And inelastic scattering, if the energy is sufficient.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook