Question about calculating electric field made by finite point charges

In summary, there is a singularity at the point r=r', which means that it is impossible to calculate the electric field at that point.
gotjrgkr

Homework Statement

Hi!
I have a question about calculating electric field made by finite point charges
q[itex]_{1}[/itex],q[itex]_{2}[/itex],..., q[itex]_{n}[/itex].
From the book "introduction to electrodynamics", you can see that the electric field E at a point P made by the finite point charges can be calculated by the below equation;
E(P) = [itex]\frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_{0}}[/itex][itex]\sum[/itex][itex]^{n}_{i=1}[/itex][itex]\frac{q_{i}}{r_{i}}[/itex][itex]\hat{r[itex]_{i}[/itex]}[/itex] where r[itex]_{i}[/itex]'s are the distances between a point charge and the point P.

I can see that above electric field makes sense if P is located at a different position from each point charge q[itex]_{i}[/itex].
However, what if P is located at one of those places at which the point charges are located? For example, what is the electric field at the position at which q[itex]_{1}[/itex] is located?? As you can see, the electric field function has a singular point at the point, so that I think it is impossible to calculate it. Am I right?? Does it mean that the electric field doesn't exist at the point??

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org

Then you have an infinite electric field at that point :cry:

Really though, I don't think that this situation would be physically possible. The field is representative of the force that a charge would experience at a given location. Since that location is occupied, you can't put a charge there. At least that's my understanding.

I believe that if you put a charge infinitely close to another charge, the whole idea of coulombs law would break down, since now you are entering the domain of the nuclear force, and I am positive other laws apply.

QuarkCharmer said:
Then you have an infinite electric field at that point :cry:

Really though, I don't think that this situation would be physically possible. The field is representative of the force that a charge would experience at a given location. Since that location is occupied, you can't put a charge there. At least that's my understanding.

I believe that if you put a charge infinitely close to another charge, the whole idea of coulombs law would break down, since now you are entering the domain of the nuclear force, and I am positive other laws apply.

Thanks for your responding!

I actually asked you above one because of some equations.
I attach it here.
div.3.jpg

The divergence of E.jpg

Div.2.jpg

As you can check in the first equation, it represents the electric field at a point r occurred by continuously distributed electric charges.

Here's my question in the second picture...
It is said that because the charge density out of the electric charges is zero everywhere, the integral of the equation in the first picture can be extended over the whole space...
But, in this case, you can see that the integrand inevitably contains the singularity at r=r'. What does it mean? I can't understand the meaning of the integral;;
Furthermore, if r indicates a point within the volume of the distributed charges, it would be more complicating...

1. How do I calculate the electric field made by a finite point charge?

The formula for calculating the electric field made by a finite point charge is E = kq/r^2, where E is the electric field, k is the Coulomb's constant (9 x 10^9 Nm^2/C^2), q is the charge of the point charge, and r is the distance between the point charge and the location where the electric field is being measured.

2. What is the direction of the electric field made by a finite point charge?

The direction of the electric field is always directed away from the positive charge and towards the negative charge. This means that if the point charge is positive, the electric field will point outward, and if the point charge is negative, the electric field will point inward.

3. Can the electric field made by a finite point charge be negative?

Yes, the electric field can be negative. This usually occurs when the point charge is negative and the electric field is being measured at a point closer to the point charge than the distance between the charges. In this case, the electric field would be directed in the opposite direction of the positive charge, resulting in a negative value.

4. How does the electric field change as the distance from the point charge increases?

The electric field decreases as the distance from the point charge increases. This is because the electric field is inversely proportional to the square of the distance (E ∝ 1/r^2). This means that as the distance increases, the value of the electric field will decrease.

5. Can the electric field made by a finite point charge be affected by other nearby charges?

Yes, the electric field made by a finite point charge can be affected by other nearby charges. This is because electric fields can interact with each other, causing the resulting electric field to be a combination of the individual electric fields. This is known as superposition and is an important concept in the study of electric fields.