1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question about changing line element.

1. Sep 9, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Say we have a function such that
    [itex] x = uv , y = (u^2 - v^2) /2 [/itex]
    Hence our line element in Cartesian coordinates is.
    [itex] ds^2 = dx^2 + dy^2 [/itex]

Now I have two questions. I like to work on math problems algebraically if possible so I thought to convert our line element I could take the implicit derivative of both x and y.

Hence we have

[itex] dx = (du*v) + (u*dv), dy = (2u du - 2v dv) [/itex]
    However if i were to square these terms out I would then have some mixed components such as [itex] 4vu du dv[/itex]

I tested this technique with polar coordinates and using [itex] x = r \cos \theta, y = r \sin\theta [/itex] and I managed to come out to the proper line element.

Can someone please point me in the right direction as to what I need to do to get the proper line element?

Also I had one more question. If i wanted to find the equation of the unit circle centered at the origin in our new coordinate system can I just take the cartesian equation [itex] x^2 + y^2 = 1 [/itex] , plug in our substitutions, and then solve?

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 9, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 9, 2012 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

You forgot the factor of 1/2 when you calculated dy.

4. Sep 9, 2012 #3
    thats true I forgot to write that down when I was making the post.. so this is the correct way to set up the line element?

5. Sep 9, 2012 #4

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Yup, and you should find with the correction the cross-term vanishes.

And to answer your other question, yes, you can just substitute for x and y into the equation for a circle and get the equivalent equation in terms of u and v. It works the way you think it should.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook