Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question about convolutions

1. Aug 15, 2012 #1
    I know that the convolution of two functions [itex]f(x)[/itex] and [itex]g(x)[/itex] is given by

[tex]
    (f * g)(y) = \int_{\mathbb R} f(x)g(y-x) dx.
    [/tex]

But what if I'm trying to convolve a function [itex]f(x)[/itex] with a function [itex]g(x + az)[/itex], where [itex]a[/itex] is some constant? Is it just

[tex]
    (f*g)(y) = \int_{\mathbb R} f(x)g(y - x + az) dx.
    [/tex]

If so, why? I can't seem to find a definition of the convolution that makes this obvious.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 15, 2012 #2

Mute

Homework Helper

Convolutions are symmetric in f and g:

$$(f \star g)(y) = (g \star f)(y);$$

you could thus write the convolution of f(x) and g(x + az) as

$$\int_{\mathbb{R}} dx~f(y-x)g(x+az),$$

which is perhaps easier to see.

4. Aug 15, 2012 #3

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Your question is a little puzzling. How does z relate to x in g(x+az)?

5. Aug 16, 2012 #4
    Okay, let me see if I can be more specific. What I'm really trying to do is to take the Fourier transform...in the [itex]x[/itex] variable...of the product [itex]f(x) g(ax + y)[/itex], where [itex]x,y\in \mathbb R[/itex] are independent (hence unrelated) variables. So I'm interested in

[tex]
    \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{-i p x} f(x) \cdot g(ax + y) \ dx.
    [/tex]

I know that Fourier transforms turn products into convolutions...but is it that straightforward in this case?

6. Aug 16, 2012 #5

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What you need is the opposite. Fourier transform of a convolution is product of Fourier transforms of the individual items. Once you've done that, take the back transform to get what you are looking for.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook