Question about cosine and Eulers identity

This means that when dealing with complex numbers, the Re{} function cannot be distributed across multiplication. This was the error in the original equation.
Rib5
I was doing a signals and systems problem and I think I might be screwing something up with the cosine function because I get

[tex]cos(a+b) = cos(a)*cos(b)[/tex]

This is how

[tex]cos(a+b)=Re\left\{ e^{j*(a+b)} \right\}[/tex]
[tex]=Re\left\{ e^{j*(a)}*e^{j*(b)} \right\}[/tex]
[tex]=cos(a)*cos(b)[/tex]

Can anyone point out my mistake?

EDIT:
I guess I figured it out. The Re{} function isn't distributive. Thanks for your time.

Physics news on Phys.org
The expression at the second to last line will involve a multiplication of two factors each having one j (imaginary unit), which results in the missing real expression.

snipez90 said:
The expression at the second to last line will involve a multiplication of two factors each having one j (imaginary unit), which results in the missing real expression.

In simpler language... the real part of a product is not the product of the real parts

1. What is cosine and Eulers identity?

Cosine and Eulers identity is a mathematical relationship between the cosine function and the complex exponential function, which is expressed as e^(ix) = cos(x) + isin(x). It is also known as Euler's formula or Euler's equation.

2. What is the significance of Eulers identity?

Eulers identity is significant because it connects two fundamental mathematical concepts, namely trigonometry and complex numbers. It has many applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, and signal processing.

3. How is Eulers identity derived?

Eulers identity can be derived using the Maclaurin series expansions of the cosine and exponential functions, along with the fact that i^2 = -1. This results in the simplified form of e^(ix) = cos(x) + isin(x), which is Eulers identity.

4. What is the relationship between cosine and Eulers identity?

Cosine and Eulers identity are closely related as they are both functions that involve trigonometric and exponential expressions. Eulers identity can be seen as a special case of the cosine function when the angle x is equal to pi/2.

5. What are the practical applications of Eulers identity?

Eulers identity has many practical applications in fields such as electrical engineering, signal processing, and quantum mechanics. It is used to simplify complex calculations and represents a fundamental relationship between different mathematical concepts.