Question about Curvature caused by Mass

In summary, a big planet appears in the vicinity of a body, and the body starts to move towards the planet. The body's speed is increased due to the curvature of space caused by the presence of the planet.
Deepak K Kapur
A body is moving in deep space substantially away from others influences of gravitational force ( just assume).

Suddenly, a big planet appears in It's vicinity. As per relativity it's not some force issuing forth from the planet that attracts the body towards itself. The body just keeps on moving as before, only the space is curved this time.So, it starts to move towards the planet. OK till now, I suppose.

My question is, 'why does the body accelerate/increase its speed.Why doesn't it keep moving at the same speed as before?

Or, do the people on the planet only SEE it to be accelerating towards the planet, as it is moving closer to the planet with time? Is the speed of the body same as before?

I hope there is nothing objectionable with this post

Physics news on Phys.org
Deepak K Kapur said:
Suddenly, a big planet appears in It's vicinity.
This part of the question violates the conservation of energy in a way that is incompatible with relativity. So the answer below will ignore that part.

Deepak K Kapur said:
why does the body accelerate/increase its speed.Why doesn't it keep moving at the same speed as before?
Remember that it is following a geodesic in spacetime, not just space. So a path that was originally parallel to the time axis can curve so that it is at an angle to the time axis. This is acceleration/increased speed.

Last edited:
Mass cannot just appear magically like that though.

Dale said:
This part of the question violates the conservation of energy in a way that is incompatible with relativity. So the answer below will ignore that part.

Remember that it is following a geodesic in spacetime, not just space. So a path that was originally parallel to the time axis can curve so that it is at an angle to the time axis. This is acceleration/increased speed.
I have kinda got the idea...

Can you please elaborate more and that too in layman terms.

rootone said:
Mass cannot just appear magically like that though.

I think quantum mechanics allows this, even if the probability is miniscule...

Deepak K Kapur said:
I have kinda got the idea...

Can you please elaborate more and that too in layman terms.
Are you familiar with spacetime diagrams? If so, how would you draw an object at rest, an object moving slowly, and an object moving fast?

Deepak K Kapur said:
I think quantum mechanics allows this, even if the probability is miniscule...
No it doesn't. Energy is conserved in QM. In any case, the question is about GR where this sort of thing is explicitly forbidden.

Dale said:
Are you familiar with spacetime diagrams? If so, how would you draw an object at rest, an object moving slowly, and an object moving fast?

Laymen are most certainly well versed in spacetime diagrams...

So, how would you draw an object at rest, an object moving slowly, and an object moving fast?

1. What is the concept of curvature caused by mass?

The concept of curvature caused by mass is a fundamental principle of Einstein's theory of general relativity. It states that the presence of mass and energy in a region of space causes the space-time to curve, much like a heavy object placed on a trampoline would cause it to curve.

2. How does mass cause space-time to curve?

Mass causes space-time to curve by warping the fabric of space-time itself. This means that objects with mass will follow the curvature of space-time, rather than traveling in a straight line as predicted by Newtonian physics.

3. Can the curvature caused by mass be observed?

Yes, the curvature caused by mass can be observed through the phenomenon of gravitational lensing. This occurs when the path of light from a distant object is bent due to the presence of a massive object, such as a galaxy or black hole, in its path.

4. How does the amount of mass affect the curvature of space-time?

The amount of mass does affect the curvature of space-time. The more massive an object is, the stronger its gravitational pull and the greater the curvature of space-time around it.

5. Is the curvature caused by mass the same as gravity?

Yes, the curvature caused by mass is essentially the same as gravity. In general relativity, gravity is not seen as a force between masses, but rather as a result of the curvature of space-time caused by the presence of mass and energy.