Question about decreasing sequence and finding its limit

• MHB
  • Thread starter evinda
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sequence
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem where the sequence $(x_n)$ is defined by a recursive formula and the goal is to show that it is decreasing and bounded below by $\sqrt{a}$, and to find its limit. The participants discuss different approaches, such as taking the ratio $x_{n+1}/x_n$ and considering different cases for the initial term $x_1$. Ultimately, it is concluded that the sequence converges to its infimum if it is bounded below and decreasing.
evinda
Gold Member
MHB
Hey! :)
I have a question.
It is given that $a>0 , x_{1}=x>0 \text{ and } x_{n+1}=\frac{1}{2}(x_{n}+\frac{a}{x_{n}})$ and I have to show that the sequence $(x_{n})$,at least from its second term,is decreasing and bounded from below from $\sqrt{a}$.Also,I have to find the limit $\lim_{n \to \infty}x_{n}$.

To show that the sequence is decreasing,I thought that I could take $\frac{x_{n+1}}{x_{n}}$ and show that it is smaller that $1$.I found that $\frac{x_{n+1}}{x_{n}}=\frac{1}{2}(1+\frac{a}{x_{n}^{2}})=\frac{1}{2}+\frac{a}{2x_{n}^{2}}$.
But do we know that it is $\frac{1}{2}+\frac{a}{2x_{n}^{2}}<1 \Rightarrow x_{n}>\sqrt{a}$ ?

Physics news on Phys.org
If the sequence is bounded below and decreasing, then the limit exists. So, assuming you've shown these two, in order to find the limit, just take the limit of both sides of the equation:
$$\lim_{n\to \infty}x_{n+1}= \lim_{n \to \infty} \frac12 \left(x_{n}+ \frac{a}{x_{n}} \right),$$
or if $\lim_{x\to \infty}x_{n}=L$, then
$$L= \frac12 (L+a/L).$$
Now just solve for $L$.

Ackbach said:
If the sequence is bounded below and decreasing, then the limit exists. So, assuming you've shown these two, in order to find the limit, just take the limit of both sides of the equation:
$$\lim_{n\to \infty}x_{n+1}= \lim_{n \to \infty} \frac12 \left(x_{n}+ \frac{a}{x_{n}} \right),$$
or if $\lim_{x\to \infty}x_{n}=L$, then
$$L= \frac12 (L+a/L).$$
Now just solve for $L$.

I understand..Could I also say that because of the fact that the sequence is bounded below and decreasing,it converges to its inf??

Also,how can I show that it is decreasing? Can I use $\frac{x_{n+1}}{x_{n}} $ or do I have to do something else?

evinda said:
I understand..Could I also say that because of the fact that the sequence is bounded below and decreasing,it converges to its inf??

Yes, any monotonically decreasing sequence that is bounded below has to converge.

Also,how can I show that it is decreasing? Can I use $\frac{x_{n+1}}{x_{n}} $ or do I have to do something else?

You could try to show that $x_{n+1}/x_{n}$ is less than $1$. That might work. What do you get when you try that?

Ackbach said:
Yes, any monotonically decreasing sequence that is bounded below has to converge.
But we know that then the sequence converges to its infimum,or am I wrong? :confused:

Ackbach said:
You could try to show that $x_{n+1}/x_{n}$ is less than $1$. That might work. What do you get when you try that?

I found this: $\frac{1}{2}+\frac{a}{2x_{n}^{2}}$ ...But..Do we know that this is less than $1$ ?

evinda said:
But we know that then the sequence converges to its infimum,or am I wrong? :confused:

Well, it depends on $x_{1}$. You probably could say that the sequence converges to its $ \lim \inf$.

I found this: $\frac{1}{2}+\frac{a}{2x_{n}^{2}}$ ...But..Do we know that this is less than $1$ ?

I think you'll have to take three cases: $x_{1}< \sqrt{a}$, $x_{1}= \sqrt{a}$, and $x_{1}> \sqrt{a}$. The middle case is fairly straight-forward: the sequence converges to $\sqrt{a}$ immediately, and never changes. Also, the case $x_{1}> \sqrt{a}$ is straight-forward: the sequence is monotonically decreasing. It's that pesky $x_{1}< \sqrt{a}$ case that's troubling... What do you make of it?

By induction. Let $n\ge1$. We have $\displaystyle{{x}_{2}}-\sqrt{a}=\frac{1}{2}\left( \frac{a}{{{x}_{1}}}+{{x}_{1}} \right)-\sqrt{a}=\frac{1}{2}\cdot \frac{{{({{x}_{1}}-\sqrt{a})}^{2}}}{{{x}_{1}}}>0,$ so this shows that $x_2>\sqrt a$. Suppose now that $x_n>\sqrt a,$ so $x_n>0$ and in the same fashion we have $\displaystyle{{x}_{n+1}}-\sqrt{a}=\frac{1}{2}\left( \frac{a}{{{x}_{1}}}+{{x}_{1}} \right)-\sqrt{a}=\frac{1}{2}\cdot \frac{{{({{x}_{n}}-\sqrt{a})}^{2}}}{{{x}_{n}}}>0,$ implying that $x_{n+1}>\sqrt a,$ so $x_n>\sqrt a$ for all $n\ge1.$ Let's now show that $x_{n+1}>x_n$ for all $n\ge1$. Since $0<\sqrt a<x_2$ we have $\displaystyle\frac{a}{{{x}_{2}}}-{{x}_{2}}=\frac{a-x_{2}^{2}}{{{x}_{2}}}<0\implies \frac{a}{{{x}_{2}}}+{{x}_{2}}<2{{x}_{2}}\implies {{x}_{3}}<{{x}_{2}}.$ In the same fashion for $0<\sqrt a<x_{n+1}$ we get $\displaystyle\frac{a}{{{x}_{n+1}}}-{{x}_{n+1}}=\frac{a-x_{n+1}^{2}}{{{x}_{n+1}}}<0\implies \frac{a}{{{x}_{n+1}}}+{{x}_{n+1}}<2{{x}_{n+1}},$ so ${{x}_{n+2}}<{{x}_{n+1}}.$

Finally $x_n>\sqrt a$ and $x_{n+1}<x_n,$ hence $x_n$ is a decreasing bounded below sequence, so it has a limit.

Last edited:
evinda said:

Yes. A decreasing bounded below sequence converges to its infimum.

Related to Question about decreasing sequence and finding its limit

1. What is a sequence?

A sequence is a ordered list of numbers or objects that follow a specific pattern or rule. For example, the sequence 1, 3, 5, 7, 9... follows the pattern of increasing by 2.

2. How do you find the next number in a sequence?

To find the next number in a sequence, you need to identify the pattern or rule that the sequence follows. Once you have identified the pattern, you can use it to predict the next number in the sequence.

3. What is the difference between an arithmetic and geometric sequence?

An arithmetic sequence is a sequence where the difference between consecutive terms is constant. In a geometric sequence, the ratio between consecutive terms is constant.

4. How is a sequence different from a series?

A sequence is a list of numbers or objects in a specific order, while a series is the sum of a sequence. In other words, a series is the result of adding all the terms in a sequence together.

5. How can sequences be applied in real life?

Sequences can be found in many real life situations, such as in patterns of growth, interest rates, and stock market prices. They can also be used in mathematics and computer programming to solve problems and create algorithms.