Question about determining if the series is convergent or divergent

In summary, the conversation discusses determining if a positive term series is convergent or divergent, specifically \sum^{\infty}_{n = 1} \frac{n + cosn}{n^3 + 1}. It is suggested to ignore the \cos(n) and compare it to \sum^{\infty}_{n = 1} \frac{n+1}{n^3}, which converges by the p-series test. By the comparison test, it can be concluded that the original series also converges.
shamieh
Determine if the positive term series is convergent or divergent
\(\displaystyle
\sum^{\infty}_{n = 1} \frac{n + cosn}{n^3 + 1}\)

can't I just ignore the cosn and look at it like this:

\(\displaystyle \sum^{\infty}_{n = 1} (-1)^n \frac{n}{n^3 + 1}\)

Then can't I just look at it as n--> \(\displaystyle \infty\) and see that I end up with \(\displaystyle \frac{1}{n^2}\) essentially and then say that it converges by the P SERIES

Physics news on Phys.org
shamieh said:
Determine if the positive term series is convergent or divergent
\(\displaystyle
\sum^{\infty}_{n = 1} \frac{n + cosn}{n^3 + 1}\)

can't I just ignore the cosn and look at it like this:

\(\displaystyle \sum^{\infty}_{n = 1} (-1)^n \frac{n}{n^3 + 1}\)

Not exactly. The $\cos(n)$ is added to the $n$ in the numerator, not multiplied. You could say this:
$$\sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \frac{n+\cos(n)}{n^3+1}\le \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \frac{n+1}{n^3}= \sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\frac{1}{n^2}+\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\frac{1}{n^3}.$$

I see. So I can say:

\(\displaystyle 0 \le \frac{n + cosn}{n^3 + 1} \le \frac{n+1}{n^3} \)

So I know that as n--> infinity for my \(\displaystyle \sum b_n\) I would obtain \(\displaystyle \frac{1}{n^2}\) and I know this converges by p series because \(\displaystyle p > 1\) .

So by using comparison test since \(\displaystyle b_n\) converges then I know \(\displaystyle a_n\) converges

shamieh said:
I see. So I can say:

\(\displaystyle 0 \le \frac{n + cosn}{n^3 + 1} \le \frac{n+1}{n^3} \)

So I know that as n--> infinity for my \(\displaystyle \sum b_n\) I would obtain \(\displaystyle \frac{1}{n^2}\) and I know this converges by p series because \(\displaystyle p > 1\) .

So by using comparison test since \(\displaystyle b_n\) converges then I know \(\displaystyle a_n\) converges

Right. Looks good to me!

Thank you for your guidance Ack

1. How do you determine if a series is convergent or divergent?

To determine if a series is convergent or divergent, you can use various tests such as the comparison test, ratio test, root test, or the integral test. These tests involve evaluating the limit of the series and comparing it to known convergent or divergent series.

2. What is the difference between a convergent and a divergent series?

A convergent series is a series that has a finite limit as the number of terms in the series approaches infinity. This means that the sum of all the terms in the series will approach a specific value. On the other hand, a divergent series is a series that does not have a finite limit and the sum of its terms either approaches infinity or oscillates between two values.

3. Can a series be both convergent and divergent?

No, a series cannot be both convergent and divergent. A series can only have one of these two properties. If a series has a finite limit, it is convergent. If it does not have a finite limit, it is divergent.

4. Are there any general rules for determining if a series is convergent or divergent?

No, there are no general rules for determining if a series is convergent or divergent. Each series is unique and may require a different test to determine its convergence or divergence. It is important to familiarize yourself with the various tests and their conditions to determine which one is most appropriate for a given series.

5. What happens if a series is neither convergent nor divergent?

If a series is neither convergent nor divergent, it is said to be indeterminate. This means that the series does not have a definite limit and its behavior cannot be determined. In this case, more advanced techniques such as the Cauchy condensation test or the alternating series test may be used to determine the convergence or divergence of the series.