1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Are two vectors that are orthogonal to a third parallel?

1. Jan 19, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Is it true in three dimensions that any two vectors perpendicular to a third one are parallel to each other?

2. Relevant equations
    Dot product.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I've come up with two vectors that were orthogonal to a third and found the angle between them using the definition of the dot product and the angle was not 180 degrees. Therefore I don't think that it's true. I'm really only here to check that I did my math right. Is it actually not true, or do I need to recalculate?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 19, 2017 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

You're probably overthinking the problem. You should be able to easily come up with a counterexample which shows the statement is false.

4. Jan 19, 2017 #3
    Not in general, consider the dot products of two non-parallel vectors with the 0 vector.

5. Jan 19, 2017 #4

StoneTemplePython

Gold Member

If you want something visual, you might ponder the right hand rule...

6. Jan 19, 2017 #5
    In my opinion, you should try computing the cross product of two parallel vectors, since the cross product produces a vector normal to both those vectors. Can you do it? If you can answer that question, then you can answer the original question, I think. Given you know how to cross-multiply vectors. But since you're given only the definition of the dot product, you can kindly disregard this post.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2017
  7. Jan 20, 2017 #6

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

XYZ axes?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted