1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Question about Digamma function and infinite sums

1. Sep 23, 2016 #1
    hi, I'm solving solving a problem about sums of zeta function and I'm come to the following conclusion
    $$\sum _{n=2}^{\infty }{\frac {\zeta \left( n \right) }{{k}^{n}}}=
    \sum _{s=1}^{\infty } \left( {\it ks} \left( {\it ks}-1 \right)
    \right) ^{-1}=\int_{0}^{1}\!{\frac {{u}^{k-2}}{\sum _{i=0}^{k-1}{u}^{i}}}\,{\rm d}u,\: \:\: \: \forall k, \: \:k\geq 2 \: \: and \: \: k\in \mathbb{N}$$

and from wolfram alpha tell me that

$$=-{\frac {1}{k} \left( \psi \left( 1-{k}^{-1} \right) +\gamma \right) }$$
    where the ##\psi## is the "zero" digamma function (I dont know how It is said )
    I dont know what is that true and I would like someone to show me this relation. thx

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 26, 2016 #2

thierrykauf

Gold Member

The Digamma function is defined as ##\psi(z) = \frac{\Gamma'(z)}{\Gamma(z)}## and has many expressions as sums, one of which is ##\psi(z+1) = -\gamma + \sum \frac{z}{n(n + z)}##
    Replace z by -1/k you get
    ##\psi(1-\frac{1}{k}) = - \gamma + \sum -\frac{\frac{1}{k}}{n(n-\frac{1}{k})}##
    ##-\frac{1}{k}\psi(1-\frac{1}{k}) = \frac{\gamma}{k} + \sum -\frac{\frac{1}{k}}{n(nk-1)}##
    ##-\frac{1}{k}\psi(1-\frac{1}{k}) - \frac{\gamma}{k} = \sum -\frac{\frac{1}{k}}{n(nk-1)}##

4. Sep 30, 2016 #3
    thnx =D

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted