Question about driven coupled oscillator.

In summary, the conversation discusses how to plot the effects of frequency and amplitude in a system with a mass-spring and pendulum. The equations for the frequencies and amplitudes are given, but there are some irreducible terms that make it difficult to generate a graph. The conversation also mentions using the answer key for a problem set and utilizing subscripts or latex to denote different frequencies. The purpose of the graph is to demonstrate key points where the shift in the graph occurs.
ozone
How does one go about plotting the effects of the frequency of the driving force vs the amplitude of the masses in a system such as the one pictured below?

Assume that I have already figured out what my two angular frequencies are, and the amplitues under driven force (the actually equations for the amplitudes are quite lengthy and I will try to refrain from writing it all out here)

The two frequencies for this system are[itex]ω± = (1/2)(2ω^2p + ω^2s)±(1/2)\sqrt{ω^4p + w^4s} [/itex]

and I can plug these into our equations for the amplitude of my oscillators. However I find that there are some irreducible terms such as w^2p which are left behind.. I just can't seem to imagine how I am supposed to generate a graph Amplitude vs ω

Attachments

• system.png
    system.png
    13 KB · Views: 432
Physics news on Phys.org
The picture appears to show a mass on a spring with a pendulum coupled in.
It's like this one (unfortunately unfinished).

How is it being driven? By pushing the wall back and forth?
What is p and s? Your dimensions don't look like they match up - maybe I'm missing the context?

wp is the frequency of the pendulum and ws is the frequency of the spring.

<facepalm> subscript failure!
Here, let me:[tex]ω_\pm = \frac{1}{2}(2ω^2_p + ω^2_s) \pm \frac{1}{2}\sqrt{ω^4_p + w^4_s} [/tex]
... OK, but you still have frequency on the LHS and frequency-squared on the right. Or did I miss something else and really need to get more sleep?

Are ωp and ωs the actual frequencies the components oscillate at or are they the natural frequencies without interference?

Oh wait! you are saying that since you don't have any values for some terms, you don't see how to plot amplitude vs frequency - since that would normally require actual numbers??
Is that right?

Well I am just saying that the plot is somewhat complex.. I notice that the key points where the shift in the graph occur are when ω is equal to exactly our ω_, our ω+, and our ωp terms.

However I don't know what to do in-between, and I am not sure how using just this and our equations for the amplitude of the block/pendulum we are supposed to generate a sufficient graph.

I can link you to the answer key for this problem set I was working on so that you can see for yourself.

Thanks.

ozone said:
Well I am just saying that the plot is somewhat complex.. I notice that the key points where the shift in the graph occur are when ω is equal to exactly our ω_, our ω+, and our ωp terms.
Hint: you can type a subscript with sub tags or in latex like this:
Code:
[noparse]
ω[sub]p[/sub], ω[sub]±[/sub]
[itex]\omega_p[/itex], [itex]\omega_\pm[/itex]
[/noparse]
Which renders as:
ωp, ω±
[itex]\omega_p[/itex], [itex]\omega_\pm[/itex]
However I don't know what to do in-between, and I am not sure how using just this and our equations for the amplitude of the block/pendulum we are supposed to generate a sufficient graph.
What are the graphs supposed to demonstrate?

Normally I'd just invent some values and use a computer to generate the plots ... adjusting the values to bring out the features I want to show.

Last edited:

1. What is a driven coupled oscillator?

A driven coupled oscillator is a system of two or more oscillators that are connected and influenced by an external force or input. This force can cause the oscillators to move in a synchronized manner, known as resonance.

2. How does a driven coupled oscillator work?

A driven coupled oscillator works by transferring energy between the connected oscillators through the external force. The force causes one oscillator to move, which in turn affects the movement of the other oscillator, creating a synchronized motion.

3. What are some real-world examples of driven coupled oscillators?

Examples of driven coupled oscillators can be seen in many natural and man-made systems, such as a pendulum clock, a swinging bridge, or the motion of two pendulums attached to each other.

4. What is the significance of resonance in driven coupled oscillators?

Resonance is significant in driven coupled oscillators because it amplifies the oscillations and allows for more efficient energy transfer between the oscillators. This can lead to stronger and more synchronized motion.

5. How do you calculate the behavior of a driven coupled oscillator?

The behavior of a driven coupled oscillator can be calculated using mathematical equations that take into account the properties of the oscillators (such as mass and stiffness), the external force, and the connection between the oscillators. These equations can be solved using numerical methods or through computer simulations.