Coupled Oscillator Homework: Normal Modes & Frequencies

In summary, the conversation discusses two identical undamped oscillators, A and B, that are coupled together with a coupling force exerted on each mass by the other. The coupling force is represented by a constant, alpha, and is less than 1 in magnitude. The normal modes of the system and their frequencies are described. The conversation then moves on to discussing the form of the differential equation for each mass and the concept of coupling force. The coupling force is explained as the force that each mass exerts on the other, specifically in a 2-mass, 3-spring system it comes from the middle spring. Further understanding of the equations of motion and the term "coupling force" is encouraged through the use of course notes
Pqpolalk357

Homework Statement

Two identical undamped oscillators, A and B, each of mass m and natural (angular) frequency $\omega_0$, are coupled in such a way that the coupling force exerted on A is [tex]\alpha m (\frac{d^2 x_A}{dt^2})[/tex], and the coupling force exerted on B is [tex] \alpha m (\frac{d^2 x_B}{dt^2})[/tex], where [tex] \alpha[/tex] is a coupling constant of magnitude less than 1. Describe the normal modes of the coupled system and find their frequencies.

I just need someone to explain to me what is the form of the differential equation with respect to each mass. The rest I can continue.

Physics news on Phys.org
http://courses.washington.edu/phys2278/228wtr09/Phys_228_09_Lec_20_App_A.pdf
http://web.mit.edu/hyouk/www/mites2010/MITES_2010__Physics_III_-_Survey_of_Modern_Physics/MITES_2010__Physics_III_-_Survey_of_Modern_Physics/Entries/2010/6/28_Lecture_4___Classical_mechanics_-_Simple_harmonic_oscillator_%26_coupled_oscillators.html
... you have to use your knowledge of coupled oscillators and understanding of the term "coupling force" - along with your course notes - to work out the equations of motion.

Last edited by a moderator:
Could someone explain to me what is exactly is the "coupling force" ?

It is the force that each pendulum exerts on the other.
In a 2-mass, 3-spring system - it comes from the middle spring.

I am happy to assist you with your homework on coupled oscillators. The differential equation for each mass in this system can be written as follows:

For mass A:
$m\frac{d^2x_A}{dt^2} + \omega_0^2x_A + \alpha m\frac{d^2x_B}{dt^2} = 0$

For mass B:
$m\frac{d^2x_B}{dt^2} + \omega_0^2x_B + \alpha m\frac{d^2x_A}{dt^2} = 0$

These equations represent the forces acting on each mass, taking into account the coupling force exerted by the other mass. To find the normal modes and frequencies of the coupled system, we can use the method of solving coupled differential equations. This involves substituting the equations for each mass into each other and solving for the normal modes and frequencies.

I hope this helps to clarify the form of the differential equations for you. If you need further assistance, please let me know. Good luck with your homework!

1. What is a coupled oscillator?

A coupled oscillator is a system of two or more oscillators that are interconnected and influence each other's motion. Examples of coupled oscillators include pendulums, springs, and electronic circuits.

2. What are normal modes in coupled oscillators?

Normal modes are the modes of motion in which all the oscillators in a coupled system move with the same frequency. In other words, the oscillators vibrate in phase with each other, resulting in a synchronized motion.

3. How do normal modes affect the frequencies of coupled oscillators?

The normal modes of a coupled system determine the frequencies at which the system can vibrate. Each normal mode has a specific frequency, and the overall frequency of the system is a combination of the frequencies of all the normal modes present.

4. How do you calculate the normal modes and frequencies of coupled oscillators?

The normal modes and frequencies of coupled oscillators can be calculated by solving the equations of motion for the system. This involves finding the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of the system's matrix representation, which represent the frequencies and modes of the system, respectively.

5. What are some real-world applications of coupled oscillators?

Coupled oscillators have a wide range of applications in various fields, including physics, engineering, and biology. Some examples include the synchronization of electronic circuits in communication systems, the motion of molecules in molecular systems, and the coordination of movements in biological systems such as the heart and brain.