1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question about Electric Fields and Charges

1. May 22, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    So I was given some questions as practice, and I cant seem to do them. Here is a link to the questions:

http://i.imgur.com/ZmkqCAV.jpg (the answers are in square brackets)

Ive only been able to calculate Q3 and Q2 so far. I would really especially like help with Q1. Ive been stuck on it for ages.

2. Relevant equations
    Ive been told this would be helpful: http://i.imgur.com/nmrsk2E.jpg

3. The attempt at a solution
    Ive been stuck on Q1 for ages. Ive been playing around with F = k q1q2/r^2 but thats not getting me anywhere.

For Q2: I used E = kq/r^2 for q1 and q2. Subtracting the answers gave me -225x10^3, which is somewhat equal to 2.3x10^5. Ive got no idea on how to get the j vector component though.
    Edit: I just got the j vector. Pythag and then the formula above got it.

I have no idea where to begin for Q4

ANY help appreciated. Thank you

Last edited: May 22, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. May 22, 2016 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Lets take them one at a time:
    Q1: you have the correct equation.... you need to use the fact that force is a vector and Q seen a net zero force. However, it may give simpler maths if you use the electric field equation instead.
    Work out the force on Q due to each charge ... just using symbols to start with.
    What does the force add up to?
    How do you write that in maths?

Q2: the electric field is a vector - which way does the electric field of q3 point?

Q4: you need to look at your notes ... you will have an equation about the torque on a dipole.

4. May 22, 2016 #3
    Thank you, i really appreciate it. Am I right in assuming the Force from Q to q1 = Q to q3? Or Q to q1 - Q-q3 = 0?

5. May 22, 2016 #4

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

The question says it is the force on Q due to the other three that is zero.
    You can use your understanding of forces (or electric fields) to work out the directions.
    i.e. a positive charge to the left of Q contribute an electric field pointing to the right and F=QE
    The actual value of Q does not matter (you'll see) so you can assume it is positive.

6. May 22, 2016 #5
    Ok, so the forces (Q to q1) + (Q to q2) + (Q to q3) = 0?

7. May 24, 2016 #6

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

That is what the problem statement says all right - well done.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted