Can You Still Taste a Bad Taco 18-21 Hours Later?

• Medical
  • Thread starter BoundByAxioms
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a recent experience of consuming bad meat in a taco, which resulted in stomach aches and indigestion. The person noticed that even 18-21 hours after eating the taco, they could still smell and taste it whenever they burped. They question whether this is possible or just in their head, and also consider the possibility of their body sequestering the food as a defense mechanism. The person also mentions that this has not been an issue since they started consuming more hot chili peppers and eating a higher fiber diet.
BoundByAxioms
I recently ate some bad meat (as in bad tasting) in a taco, which gave me bad stomach aches and indigestion. Every time that I eructed I could smell and taste the taco, even 18-21 hours after I had eaten it. Was I really smelling/ tasting it, or was it all in my head? Is it possible to still taste something you ate even after 18-21 hours?

Biology news on Phys.org
If your body reacted by sequestering the food in your stomach (to allow acids to kill the bad stuff) rather than passing it on to the lower digestive tract, why not? I'm not a doctor, but I've had food "come back" on me for fairly extended periods, and it is possible that this is a defense mechanism.

Note: In the past several years, since I have been growing and processing lots of hot chili peppers and liberally using them in my cooking and as garnishes/relishes, this has not been a problem. I noticed it more when I was traveling for business a lot, eating out, and generally wolfing down low-fiber meals.

I can confidently say that it is possible to still taste something you ate even after 18-21 hours. Our sense of taste and smell are closely linked, and both play a role in our perception of flavor. When we eat something, the molecules responsible for its taste and smell interact with receptors on our taste buds and olfactory cells. These receptors send signals to our brain, allowing us to perceive the flavor of the food.

However, these molecules can also linger in our mouth and nasal passages, especially if they are particularly strong or pungent. In the case of a bad taco, it is likely that the unpleasant taste and smell of the meat remained in your mouth and nose for an extended period of time, even after you had finished eating it. This is because the chemicals responsible for the bad taste and smell can be stubborn and difficult to remove.

Furthermore, our brains have a powerful ability to associate certain smells and tastes with specific memories or experiences. This is known as the "Proustian phenomenon," named after the French author Marcel Proust who famously wrote about the power of smell and taste to evoke memories. In your case, the unpleasant experience of eating the bad taco may have triggered a strong association in your brain, causing you to continue to taste and smell it even after 18-21 hours.

In conclusion, it is not uncommon to continue to taste and smell something you ate even after a significant amount of time has passed. This is due to the lingering presence of chemical molecules in our mouth and nose, as well as the powerful connection between our senses and memories. However, if you continue to experience these sensations for an extended period of time, it is always best to consult a medical professional to ensure there are no underlying health issues.

1. What are eructations?

Eructations, also known as belches or burps, are the release of gas from the digestive tract through the mouth.

2. What causes eructations?

Eructations are caused by the accumulation of gas in the digestive tract, which can be a result of swallowing air while eating or drinking, or the breakdown of food by bacteria in the gut.

3. Are eructations normal?

Yes, eructations are a normal bodily function and can occur multiple times a day. However, excessive or frequent eructations may be a sign of an underlying digestive issue.

4. How can I prevent eructations?

You can prevent eructations by avoiding carbonated beverages, eating slowly and avoiding swallowing air, and avoiding foods that commonly cause gas such as beans, broccoli, and onions.

5. When should I be concerned about my eructations?

If you experience excessive or frequent eructations accompanied by other symptoms such as abdominal pain, bloating, or heartburn, it may be a sign of an underlying condition such as GERD or gastritis. It is important to consult a doctor if you are concerned about your eructations.