Question about fiding speed and distance

1. I had a test earlier today and one question was,

A 20kg object initially at rest is accelerated at constant power of 12.0w. After 9.0s it has moved 56.0m. Find its speed at t=6.0s and its position at that instant.

I got v=6 and distance=36m are these values correct?

2. jcsd
  3. HallsofIvy

HallsofIvy 40,683
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I started to say that this makes no sense. An object accelerates at a constant acceleration measured in [itex]m/s^2[/itex]. That acceleration may be caused by a constant force, measured in Newtons, but not a constant power measured in watts.

But the "12.0 w" really has nothing to do with the problem and can be ignored. If an object accelerates from rest at constant acceleration, a [itex]m/s^2[/itex], then after time, t, it will have speed [itex]at[/itex] m/s and will have moved distance [itex](1/)at^2[/itex] m.

They do not look at all right to me. How did you get them?

4. P*t=W
    12*9=108
    therefore W=108joules
    W=F*displacement
    F=108/56
    F=1.93N

F=ma
    a=1.93/20
    a=0.1

so at t=6
    Pt=W
    12*6=72joules
    W=72joules

W=F*displacement
    displacement=72/(20*0.1)
    displacement=36m

P=Fv
    v=12/(20*0.1)
    v=6

5. russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Halls, it doesn't say constant acceleration. Constant power is what you might get from a car with a continuously variable transmission.

6. I am assuming the acceleration is constant. Is that right?

7. Have I gone wrong somewhere?

8. This is the question given in the test word for word. The question confused me for ages, in the end I just assumed acceleration was constant. I don't know how you could work it out any other way.

9. adjacent

adjacent 1,533
    Gold Member

Try not to round of numbers.Use fractions.

10. Acceleration can not be constant...
    P=dW/dt
    P=d(∫F.dx)/dt
    P=F.dx/dt
    P=Fv
    If a is const.
    P=ma*(at)
    P=ma2t
    Then Power is not constant as given in the question...

11. f95toli

f95toli 2,414
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I saw this question when it was in the other section, it looked fishy to me then and I just had a go at it. Unless I am missing something it does not have a solution.
    The way the question is formulated you will -as Enigman pointed out- end up with a 2nd order ODE for the position; but then the constants are over-determined.

I wonder if this is a case of the teacher trying to add a red herring (constant power) without realizing that this implies that the accelaration can not be constant.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share a link to this question via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?

Draft saved Draft deleted