1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question about finding electric field using slope on excel

1. Mar 17, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I have a list of data, positions and measured voltages at each position. As part of my lab analysis I have to find the electric field at each position. I know that the slope of a potential versus distance plot is the electric field, but I have no clue how to find not the average slope, but the slope at each position in excel.

2. Relevant equations
    In my lab handout says the most useful formula for finding slope from data is dy/dx=[y(x+h)-y(x-h)]/2h

3. The attempt at a solution
    My question is basically how to find the slope at each position. How do I make use of the above formula in excel?
    My worksheet is attached. I'm sorry if this is the wrong board for this type of question.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 17, 2015 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Let h be the step size of your data. Which means y(x+h) is one cell away from y(x) and y(x-h) is one cell in the opposite direction.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted