Question about Gravity and my hands

• B
  • Thread starter Einstein60
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gravity
In summary: This is also part. But I meant when your hands are down relaxed without any force lifting it or moving itIt's not a a medical problem. It happens to everyone.
Einstein60
When I stand and relax my hand without lifting it. It's very relaxed. Within few minutes, I feel my hands become heavy. Why is this so.

Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
Perhaps they feel heavier. This isn't a Physics question.

Likes sophiecentaur, vanhees71, Zeeshan Ahmad and 1 other person
.Scott said:
Perhaps they feel heavier. This isn't a Physics question.
I just wanted to know.

Einstein60 said:
When I stand and relax my hand without lifting it. It's very relaxed. Within few minutes, I feel my hands become heavy. Why is this so.
Do you mean when you lift your hands and hold them up for a while? Your muscles need to expend energy to hold a weight up, even though it is not moving (so from a purely Physics perspective you would think there is no F*d work being done).

Or do you mean something else?

Have you consulted with a medical doctor ?

• Skeptical
Likes davenn
Einstein60 said:
If you do not exercise the muscles in your arms, the valves in your veins, do not return blood to your core, so blood pools in your arms. Also, lymphatic fluid builds up.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vein#Structure

Likes sysprog, sophiecentaur and 256bits
berkeman said:
Do you mean when you lift your hands and hold them up for a while? Your muscles need to expend energy to hold a weight up, even though it is not moving (so from a purely Physics perspective you would think there is no F*d work being done).

Or do you mean something else?
This is also part. But I meant when your hands are down relaxed without any force lifting it or moving it

It's not a a medical problem. It happens to everyone.
hmmm27 said:
Have you consulted with a medical doctor ?

There's a trick that we used to do as children (probably most of you know it). Stand in a doorway with your arms at your sides and push the backs of hands as hard as you can against the opposing sides of the doorway. After a few seconds, swivel round and your arms will automatically float up to shoulder height.

Likes Bystander and sysprog
Einstein60 said:
It's not a a medical problem. It happens to everyone.
Not to me. You mean that if you stand for more than a few minutes, your hands go numb? What about when you sit? When you lie down?

Einstein60 said:
I think that's it's probably at least partly because we constantly adjust values for what we perceive as the status quo.

To understand this, you could try a classic 3 water basins demonstration experiment: fill 3 basins, each big enough to accommodate your hands, one with hot water, one with cold water, and one with lukewarm water; place one hand in the hot water basin, and at the same time, one in the cold water basin, for about a minute, until they become acclimated to the temperature; then put both hands in the lukewarm water ##-## the cold water hand will feel the lukewarm water as hot, while the hot water hand will feel the lukewarm water as cold ##-## you can look at your hands and see that they're in the same water, but seeemingly sending you different messages about the temperature ##-## that's because of their each having immediately previously acclimated to a different temperature.

If you hold a soup can in each of your hands for a minute, then if you put the soup can down and idle your emplty hands at your sides, they will at first feel light, but if you wait for a few minutes like that, your hands may feel like light weights hanging from your your arms, and your arms may feel like weights hanging from your shoulders. For comparison purposes, you can hold hold your hands up, fisted or not, in a boxing pose for 30 seconds, and when you put them back to hanging at your sides, you'll feel relief from their weight.

Related to Question about Gravity and my hands

What is gravity?

Gravity is a fundamental force of nature that causes objects with mass to be attracted to each other.

Why do my hands fall to the ground?

Your hands fall to the ground because of the force of gravity pulling them towards the Earth's center of mass.

Why do objects feel heavier on Earth compared to other planets?

Objects feel heavier on Earth because it has a larger mass and therefore a stronger gravitational pull compared to other planets.

Can gravity be turned off?

No, gravity is a fundamental force of nature and cannot be turned off or controlled by humans.

How does gravity affect the movement of my hands?

Gravity affects the movement of your hands by pulling them towards the Earth's center of mass, causing them to fall downwards. It also affects the weight and strength of your hands, making them feel heavier or lighter depending on the force of gravity.